Transmission Woes

The thing is, that splined collar is part of the bevel box. I don't think a replacement collar is sold by Triumph. Some have pressed it off the pinion but where do you get a replacement??? I guarantee your driveshaft spline is toast also. Looks like it hasn't been lubed with a high moly lubricant for some time.

The thing is, that splined collar is part of the bevel box. I don't think a replacement collar is sold by Triumph. Some have pressed it off the pinion but where do you get a replacement??? I guarantee your driveshaft spline is toast also. Looks like it hasn't been lubed with a high moly lubricant for some time.

This is correct Gregger, Triumph doesn't sell this part separately.
There was a Guy in Germany that made a batch of these splined sleeves, he also detailed how to get the old one off.
Unfortunately I don't have any contact details for him, but it was on Facebook I think.
Maybe go to the various (Facebook) Rocket related pages and ask about this.

U seamed to have opened a bucket of worms (problems)
If it was me i would clean it up grease it up and put it together. This bike will b lucky to go 10,000 miles out of a new tire in the meantime u can look for a bargain diff and shaft. Those parts may last through a couple of tires with proper lube.

U seamed to have opened a bucket of worms (problems)
If it was me i would clean it up grease it up and put it together. This bike will b lucky to go 10,000 miles out of a new tire in the meantime u can look for a bargain diff and shaft. Those parts may last through a couple of tires with proper lube.
Honestly that was kind of my plan. I'm still unsure of what the transmission has in store for me, but I'm sort of prepared for this to become a parts bike if it costs a ton more to fix than the bike is worth.

I just realized that I need to make castle sockets for the swingarm and engine mounts. Are there any other specialty tools I'll need to get to the transmission?

🤔 is the bevel box supposed to have a bunch of rust in it?
PXL_20210328_231829821.jpg
We are told that is not rust. It is the molybdenum Triumph used to lube the splines. Mine looked rusty like this the first time I pulled it apart when I changed the first rear tire at less than 10K miles way back when. The spline in this coupler is 75% worn out. It won't take many miles until the spline is stripped out. I had the same situation just recently with 50K miles on it. ( I take mine to the drag strip.) I purchased a new drive shaft from my local dealer and a used rear final drive with perfect splines off Ebay fairly cheap.

I have since found out after doing a little more research that some say you can replace the older Rockets (2004-2009) driveshaft and final drive with units for the Roadster. You have to replace them together as the splines on the Roadster (2010-2018) are different and bit more hefty. I don't know for sure, but it is what I have heard.

I have since found out after doing a little more research that some say you can replace the older Rockets (2004-2009) driveshaft and final drive with units for the Roadster. You have to replace them together as the splines on the Roadster (2010-2018) are different and bit more hefty. I don't know for sure, but it is what I have heard.
Yes, that is correct Bill.

If you are wondering about the cost to repair the tranny or what might have failed, pull the sump from the engine. Not hard. What you see sitting in the sump bottom is an indication of repairs needed (check screens too). You could pull the engine filter also and cut it open to see what it picked up. I'm guessing since there wasn't a lot of noise or things didn't lock up that there is minimal damage.

Back