TireExpress.com Thumbs Up

TxRIIIRider

Living Legend
Ordered two new Avons yesterday from TireExpress.com and they arrived at my house today, less than 24 hours after I ordered them.. :) Also the least expensive I could find them as of yesterday. Tire prices are almost going up weekly!

AV-72-240/50R16AVON AV72 COBRA REAR TIRE 1 248.17
AV-71-15/8VR17 AVON AV71 COBRA FRT TIRE 1 172.80

I hope they are better in the rain than a Metz .... I have never seen anything short of a drag slick any worse on water than these **** Metzlers. They scare the poop out of me. :p

once you try them you'll never go back. Very different ride and fell and best of all they last longer. Put on my 3 set yesterday and will be going to West Point for lunch today and will never go back to Metzlers. Play around with you air pressure so far I found 33 front 42 rear but I ride solo but packed with tent and gear for a week at a time. Next thing I want to try is new shocks.

I put this set of Avons on not long after they first came out at 34,500 miles and have just over 51,000 miles on the bike now, so I've got about 17,000 miles on them. The tread wear indicators are just now touching the ground. The best I got out of a set of Metz's was 12,000 and that was with wires showing. The front and rear Avon also wore evenly. Unlike the Metz's where sometimes I would go through two rears per one front tire. Most of my riding consists of a 70 mile round trip to work, all highway.. an occaisional weekend jaunt when the kids' sports allow, and a longer distance trip every now and then.

I love the way the Avons handle. They handle great in the curves, I mean I'm not afraid to push it, WHEN I have curves to ride on anyways. However, I think they do tend to spin a little easy when sitting up right and taking off hard. They are a harder compound in the center to help reduce wear, but that also means they are easy to spin. However they are softer on the sides, and I've never felt them slipping in the curves, even at peg scraping speeds.

They aren't bad in the rain either.. I rode to Shreveport, LA from here in San Antonio in a torrential down pour the whole way last year and made it alive..No squirming or hydro-planing that I could detect. Turning at intersections in the rain the rear can be a little slippery, but that's the nature of having 140 something lb/ft of torque and it's something I expect and can live with. I've ridden down a wet red clay road in the rain, and the guy behind me said my rear tire was spinning even as I was idling along.. lol

Over all, I am very happy with the Avons.. they were a huge improvement over the 3 sets of Metzelers I've been through. One day, I might try the dark side, but now that will have to wait another 17,000 miles or so.. :)

Thanks for the review. I will try a set when these wear out. These Metzler's squiggle and squirm on every pavement abnormality and give me a confidence factor of zero.

I may not wait.

oldsprint03

I hope they are better in the rain than a Metz .... I have never seen anything short of a drag slick any worse on water than these **** Metzlers. They scare the poop out of me. :p

Me too - got caught 2 weeks ago in a Niagara Falls type bucket job tropical downpour, it was seriously scary as I had no helmet on, just glasses, panoptics with the eye foam guards, and water was flowing inside the bloody glasses, got through the foam, all I could see was a car wash really:eek:, I was during the worst few minutes in the left lane of a 2 lane blacktop, unable to change lanes and pull off to the right to seek shelter as I could not see what was to my right or coming up on me, no shelter on the left - the Metz did NOT inspire any confidence, I just made sure to tip-to around as vertical as possible! I've always used Avons on my race cars, up until now, where Toyo seem to have the edge with cars, anyhoos the make great great tyres...:D

Last edited:
Back