I ride with progressive springs and shocks mostly highway. Average speed around 75 to 80 MPH. That is why i ride at 41 PSI in front and back. If i rode more in stop and go traffic would drop the air in the front down down a few pounds.

Hi I find this quite an interesting take on an age old problem....three weeks ago I replaced both tyres with new cobra chrome and the tyre technician introduced me to his interpretation on tyre pressure which puts 40 in the front and 38 in the rear. His rationale was around the front doing the majority of the braking and with a heavy bike travelling at speed with the weight of a rider also in the mix the front tyre is less likely to distort with slightly more pressure in it. I must say that this set up feels better than I remember my first set of tyres did.....just a thought
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm going to give that a try.

I have read and been told man things about tyre pressure:
1) Check and adjust tyre pressure before first ride of the day
2) Dry surface: decrease pressure to get a better grip but tyre will have a lower milleage
3) Wet surface: better to have the (high) pressure suggested by the supplier in order for the tyre to remove maximum of water
4) Increase tyre pressure when you are riding fast and a long time on motorway
5) Increase tyre pressure if you have any passenger or luggage
6) Decrease a few PSI will bring some « comfort »

I must admit that I only check tyre pressure once a week ( as oil and coolant) and I stick to the pressure given by the supplier.

I guess i am ass backward
I lower the pressure in my tires the reason is with lower pressure u have more of the tire making contact with the road therefore longer lasting and more surface area for stopping.
I do not have an opinion about riding in the rain i live in Arizona.
I have an excedra max on rear and have 7000 miles and she still looks pretty good.
Do not go below 32 on rear and 34 on front.
For example if u put 90 lbs in the front and it only had 1 inch of road contact would it stop better? On the other hand l bet it would slice through the water really good.

Lots of ideas on psi. My 08 R3T is usually loaded heavy. I run that Commander 2 on the rear @42 psi. The front has Elite 3 tire @ 40 psi.
The 15 R3T is still running factory junk, Metz tires. I’m going to a wider tire in the rear a 200 series. I’ll keep the new bike the same at the start, 42 rear, 40 front.

I guess i am ass backward
I lower the pressure in my tires the reason is with lower pressure u have more of the tire making contact with the road therefore longer lasting and more surface area for stopping.
I have an excedra max on rear and have 7000 miles and she still looks pretty good.
Do not go below 32 on rear and 34 on front.
For example if u put 90 lbs in the front and it only had 1 inch of road contact would it stop better? On the other hand l bet it would slice through the water really good.
Let us know how many miles you get out of it. Seems counter to mosts experience, but I like the theory!!

How lucky you are ! This December was a record where I am living. We had 28/31 days with some rain during the day. So the road is always wet, even if it is not raining.... This is why I bought an English bike built for that (not sure). 😊 I hate riding on wet road and I appreciate the "rain mode". When I took my two brand new R3, one on 2007 and second on 2020, both of them had their first miles under the rain ...

I wait twice as long and thought I was anal, and only add maybe 1 lb. You add 1/2 pound at most. Wow.

Every two weeks is already great. I know some people, who never check the pressure of their tires on their car.
When I am not riding the bike during two or three weeks, as this month of December, I do not check the tyre pressure every week. And I am quite sure that I will have add more than 1 psi tomorrow (1st of January should be cold but sunny ) !

Back