Tire Care during Winter Storage

In summer I bought an SCR 950 that has spend the last 4 years on the side stand at the Shop.

I have no problems with the bike.

So I would expect no problems for these few months...

I’ve never lived anywhere including Boston where I didn’t ride at least some time in the winter. I’ve left bikes garaged for months in winter and summer while on travel. This is a new one on me. To think of the damage I’ve unwittingly done.

Do I need to overfill my tires while the bike is sitting in a heated garage for its 6 month nap? Are flat spots a myth with newer tire technology ? What do you guys normally do?
Mine is on a center stand I bought from flipmeister for the winter months. Like you, there is very little riding weather in the winter where I live.

No.
20210114_082232.jpg

It's my experience to leave battery in the machine. (car bike snowmachine tractor whatever boat. But make sure it has a full charge while in storage and it doesn't hurt to have a trickle charger on the battery a few times. Once a month.
As for the tire. Just before storage of the bike, get your camera and post video of last burnout of the season so you can start the next year with new rubber.

Im fortunate enough to be able to ride on the odd day during winter but if i had to store my bike then i would just park it...if its suspended there is weight on the shocks and front fork suspension. I keep a trickle charge on the battery but also start the bike and run it for 5 mins. The battery needs to be 'shaken' to stimulate the acids within...the battery will last longer if this is done.

Do I need to overfill my tires while the bike is sitting in a heated garage for its 6 month nap? Are flat spots a myth with newer tire technology ? What do you guys normally do?
Put a cuppla small carpet remnents under both tires, takes the 'flat tire' issue out of the discussion.

Back