Time for an oil change

Attended a funeral the other week of a young lad of 22 that I knew well . He was on his way home from work , when passing an Aldi store on a busy main road , an 83 year old pensioner stepped out in front of him . He clipped the pensioner and left the bike , only to bounce head on into an oncoming lorry . A sad day , but my point being , the funeral procession was long and slow with a lot of stop start riding . It was a warm day and the engine was hot . In fact everybody's engines were hot with a good few breakdowns , notably Harleys with fried clutches! I always use good oil and change out every 6 months regardless , the last change being recent but after this last hot run , a change out seemed the obvious thing to do . The oil was ok but you could tell it had got hot , which got me thinking ? How many of you guys who ride in the hotter climates change out your oil more regularly than the recommended change intervals ? At the end of the day , it's a small price to pay for the longethivity of your engine and clutch !

My point of view

Cost benefit analysis:
Oil change on bike every 3k with Amsoil Diesel & Marine: $66
So about $180/year

Cost to rebuild/replace motor: Mucho Dinero

Just accept the $15/month as a running cost and stop any chance of oil related issues.

Even going with T6 Rotella, sure it’ll last more than 3k but why risk it?

At my last change before my May UK run - My mate stuck in Agip 10/60 Synth 4T again, which is specc'd for the new Guzzis, and he has loads of it.
Filter looked new. Oil a bit grubby. Probably 10K-kms

R3 does seem to run better on Agip in all weathers - though seems to make the radiator work a bit harder. I would like to see the oil temps - so one of winter's tasks is fitting an oil temp sensor somewhere.

I really do (did) no town work - no short runs and very few (as one ages) mad half hours. I cruise - fast - but steady.
How you ride matters to oil.

It’s the best.

Diesel oils have better additive packages than passenger vehicle oils. Marine oils even more so. Those additives are what matter the most, more than oil weight or base stock.

Back