Throttle Meister question

rusty

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
Hey guys (and gals), I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I'm not missing too many important "common sense" cells either. I've been studing the throttle meister "throttle side" handle bar end & I'll be ****ed if I can figure out how the thing engages when twisted the same direction as the "Give it the Gas" twist. I don't see a "cam" surface (rise in a surface to "push" against the end of the throttle sleeve. I don't see an eccentric to "grip" anything either.

If there is a captain out there that understands the principle of this device,

EDUCATE ME!

Tomo, I know you are somewhat knowledgeable about it (it was you explaining the shims to me). Flip, you are a machinist so you may have some knowledge to share too, unless you have not been introduced to this gadget. Vonbonds, you???

Anyone, please chim in! I'm curious!

See ya.

I can't answer as I've never seen the workings. What I did to reduce the spring tension on the throttle twistgrip (and reduce the cramp, going to sleep hand factor) was to remove the bar end and place a 1/16" thick rubber flat washer between the bar end and the twistgrip itself. It's just a stop-gap measure as I'm waiting patiently for a vacuum pump to complete my CSS 100 cruise control. The vacuum pump I want to instsall is tiny, but pulls 18" of vacuum and has a built in cutoff switch....it's off a Ford F350 Super Duty diesel and operates the heater flaps and the automatic 4wd hubs.

Soon as it's done and first article tested (my butt), I'll re-open the cruise thread and supply pictures.

Sounds like a potential winner for several captains. I know Tomo was suggesting a vacuum pump of sorts off an old beater some time back. Keep us informed.

Maybe there is a slight "cam" action going on with the throttle lock as they (Throttlemeister) provide shims as thin as .005" to make final adjustments to get it set just right. Not certain I could see that variance with the naked eye. Might need to take the part to work & mic it. Just seems to elude me (the working principle). Waiting for more input from others.

See ya.

The Throttlemiester is actually pretty simple, its has an internal "screw" like arrangement that forces an inner boss or bushing into the end of your throttle locking it.

As you turn the Throttlemiester, the boss slowly starts to move twords your grip. You can turn it just a little and put very little friction on your grip if you want. This is handy on long rides so you can take some of the pressure off of your right hand and arm but still control the throttle (because it isn't completely locked).

Or you can lock it down hard and take you hand off the throttle completely to give it a rest or to flip off the Harley rider you are passing.

I have to tell you... the Throttlemiester is a very solid, heavy, quality built device that just feels good. It is very useful for many more things than just a cruise control and I use mine all the time. I would even use it with an electronic cruise. It is also the easiest friction cruise to use.... simply twist the bar end.... it just can't get any simpler than that. Add that to the fact it works so well its hard to beat.

Downside... its expensive. If you buy one... spring the extra money for the heavy duty one... its awesome. As with any friction cruise it doesn't correct the speed. In reality, it shouldn't be called a "cruise" at all, something like throttle assist would be more accurate.

I even tried to "turn" the internal brass component but could not. From reading the literature, I believe an O-ring is in there keeping the elements out to assure the components don't seize up. Maybe it frees up as it is used. I'll take another peek with that aspect in mind Tomo. I did get the heavy one (your recommendation from post way back) and it is just as heavy as the stock weight ends. I just have to find time to see if I can leave the Kuryakyn grips on or if there is a compatibility issue there. I'm gonna call Throttlemeister to see if they know the answer to that.

Thanks for the input. See ya.

ps, anyone found where you could acquire the plastic throttle grip (the turning throttle piece beneath the rubber grip) in case I need another? I removed all the plastic nibs to install the Kuryakyn grips. Maybe the stock grip will still hold tight enough without the nibs if reinstalled? Maybe the rubber grip is on the plastic throttle sleeve when purchased from that cycle parts place.

Last edited:
Exactly as Tomo said, and Pianoman! And as you suspect. The washers and tubes/shims are the ticket. Try various combinations until it feels good:D There certainly wasn't much explanation (principles of operation) that comes along with the set. And the price:eek:

There certainly has been considerable debate over this and that; and what constitutes a "cruise control". I imagine, on those long stretches of boring highway, some may desire to engage in a bit of titillating fornication; and those slow down and speeding up while on the hill section could distract from the subject at hand. On the other hand, the Throttlemeister does it for me:D

What exactly constitutes a Cafe Racer? If a bike has a Throttlemeister is it disqualified as a Cafe Racer? Ton Up "club" accepts no "cruisers", no exceptions!

Rusty,
Are you referring to the 'vistacruise' model of throttle lock?

If so, I believe that I still have some of the old bits in a box in the garage that you can have, if not, sorry

P.S. I, too, have the heavy duty throttlemeister. It's really nice.

I had the vista cruise on another bike and didn't like it that much.

Rusty... install the Throttlemiester on a handlebar end. The small allen head screw that goes in the end of it is what "locates" the mechanism or holds it so that when you turn the outside body the inside stays stationary so the screw function can take place. If you try to actuate it in your hand without it not being installed on something.... it won't do a darn thing.

You can temporarily install it on the left grip just to see the screw push out the bushing. It is easy to remove the stock handlebar end from the left side. Of course... it ain't gonna do anything more than go in and out... but that's what you want to see :D...

The shims come into play to get the correct clearance between the bushing and your throttle grip. You have to be close to start with because the bushing only moves out maybe an eighth of an inch, and if you are farther away than that it won't work. Conversely, if you have no clearance at all your throttle will be locked at all times. Once you put it on it will all become clear!!

Back