The times they are a’changin...

Indian is offering this bike in 2019, patterned after its flat track bike
I’ll definitely be checking it out...

2818BB11-33AE-4D28-BD9E-8FE1B210C100.jpeg

Following Indian's progression, design, and advertising is very interesting. It's all down to "the want of money", and we all know where that leads.

I get that feeling some times :(
Unfortunately for me, being 6foot6, has limited what I can ride as opposed to what I’d like to ride. There have only been a few bikes that has stirred me...MT-01, XT500, Rocket, CB400 four and a beat up Honda Transalp.
My Caponord...well it’s italian...so it’s love hate.
Harley’s for the most part have been too uncomfortable..that are a surprisingly small bike...I laugh at how many guys look like circus monkeys on their Harley’s, and all that shaking. Um, no!
From what I see...many manufacturers are copying Triumph’s ideas with regards to model line up. So many bikes nowadays are similar without any distinction except a badge. Maybe That’s why we are attracted to the 2.3litre...

H-D can go suck eggs. I have loathed them for decades but they really put the icing on the cake in 1983 when they and Reagan got together and put a 49.4% tariff on bikes coming into the country that displaced more than 700cc. You think the advent of 699cc and smaller was an accident? On one hand it gave us some very nice smaller engine bikes but think what they could have done with the liter class if they could sell them. Granted the tariff only lasted 4 years or so but it was there so H-D could compete, rather than build a decent bike they just made the Japanese and European bikes nearly as expensive as their rolling money pits. H-D was happy as a pig in poop when the .gov imposed tariffs on their competition but are now whining like little *****es when the shoe is on the other foot. They will play to hipsters and others and in a decade or so the big bikes, save one or two, will probably be gone from their lineup. F 'em.

bob

ETA: Rob covered Buell.

Last edited:
If they stop all motorcycle development tomorrow, I could care less, the Motor Company can jump off a cliff with their hipster left-over, me too, money grab bikes. No Erik Buell, no real sportbike. HD had THE premiere sportbike designer on their payroll and they bent him over to give him his pink slip, followed by a swift kick in the arse.
Plus Buells were - importantly - CHEAP.

I suppose I should mention that 750 version of the new motor has oiling issues. I have a buddy who’s Street Rod motor completely frozen with 3,500 miles. Ridden fast, but not abusive, engine replacement timeline : 3 months...

F that.

When they were developing the V-Rod motor it took quite a while to hit their reliability benchmark, 500 hours. Yep, if it made 500 hours it was good to put into production. That seems pretty low to me. ;)

bob

I find it all very interesting. Still remember when a 1,000 CC motorcycle was considered a monster. Then the industry went through a cycle of Big is better. Now days maybe not so much the size but refinement. It is all good. Every time a motorcycle company comes out with a new design or model the CC's over time increase. It probable won't be long before one of the major manufactures realize that even if the market is concentrating on mid size bikes there is still a few consumers out there looking for the larger displacement. ;);););););)

Back