The Original Rocket

I bought this T160 in 1978, it lives in my lounge these days.
1000cc's, Carrillo Rods, Mega Cycle 511-X5 cams which are peaky in the 750 but good strong power right through in the Strocker Engine, 30mm carbs with ports to match, flat top, 10-1 pistons, 38 T rear sprocket, down from 50 as is standard, and a heap of other stuff that I've forgotten about.

!A.jpg

!cid_036086A604764B99B1240C537A977CD8@Q7PC.jpg

51371462_10215915526553748_2468766554863435776_n.jpg

For those endeavoring to decipher BSA or Triumph design the tell-tale is the cylinder angle. If it's a 90 degree angle from the engine block, that's a BSA. If the cylinders are rotated forward to about 75 degrees that's a Triumph. You can see the difference between the two below:

Triumph T160 Trident 750

http://www.britcycle.com/bikes/Images/GScoffield_A10_001.JPG

When Triumph, BSA, and Norton were forced to combine by the British Gov't they required their headquarters be with BSA (the one company that was drowning in debt and mismanagement while Norton and Triumph were still profitable (marginally)), Brilliance in Government.

The triumph hurricane was actually supposed to be the new bsa rocket 3 redesigned by Craig Vetter. Bsa went under just before it was supposed to come out. That’s when triumph picked it up...I read that somewhere.

612EAD12-7C76-4125-A9D9-4FED425F469E.jpeg
Triumph X75 Hurricane[edit]

Triumph X-75 Hurricane
Main article: Triumph X-75 Hurricane
US BSA vice-president Don Brown felt that the BSA/Triumph triples needed a different look to succeed in the US. He commissioned designer Craig Vetter to redesign the BSA A75 (making it sleeker and better balanced) and disclosed the Vetter project to Peter Thornton (president of BSA/Triumph North America). In October 1969, Vetter displayed his customised A75. The bike was then sent to the UK, where it received a lukewarm reception from chief designer Bert Hopwood (but a favourable public reaction); the Vetter BSA Rocket3 became the Triumph X75 Hurricane.

I had read somewhere years ago the reason Triumph canted forward the cylinders on the last Tridents, T160, was to make room for an electric starter.

Oh yeah Paul, Your Trident is beautiful. I like the idea of using that paint job on something new.

I had read somewhere years ago the reason Triumph canted forward the cylinders on the last Tridents, T160, was to make room for an electric starter.

Oh yeah Paul, Your Trident is beautiful. I like the idea of using that paint job on something new.

Triumph used the slanted Engine because racing had taught them that more weight was required on the front wheel.
Both Triumph and BSA were racing the Triples at the same time.

Back