The #1 reason why the r3t does not sell well

muleskinner

Turbocharged
I have now owned my new 011 R3T for just over six months, but have only 3,000 miles on the bike due to a super hot summer. After purchasing the bike, I began to wonder why a bike I liked so much could be a dead seller in the states.

Coming off of a late model six speed Harley Street Glide, at first I thought the reason the bike did not sell in large numbers was the fuel mileage. Then it's size. Then the fact that it does not have a fixed fairing option with all of the electronic STUFF that touring riders want.

But alas! After taking several road trips at speed, I can say for sure now why in my opinion the bike does not sell well. The fact that the bike has a five speed. Yep it's that simple. I used to be able to ride at 80-85 MPH in sixth gear with no vibration in the handle bars on my Street Glide. None, zip. With the new R3T at 80 MPH the bikes ready for a sixth gear. At 80 MPH and above, the engine transfers a lot of "Engine buzz" to the handle bars. Not comfortable, nor does it bode well for a ten hour day in the saddle. At speed. Day after day.

So my take is the R3T rides fine at speeds up to and around 70-75 MPH. Over that the bike needs a six speed to get the engine RPM down. As a long distance, high speed rider, that's just my opinion. Others may disagree and have every right to do so. It ain't no big. I like my bike. It will force me to slow down. Or so my wife says.

What say you?

I havent noticed that in my 08, and I've been on a few trips where I've cruised along at 90 or so. :confused: Although I agree with you the would benefit from a six speed transmission
I have often wondered myself why the bike doesn't sell well here in the states, I've always figured it was a combination of a lack of advertising on Triumphs part, and the fact that most people looking for a cruiser buy Harleys so that they can feel like theyve finally arrived, or that life begins when you get one, or some nonsense like that. ;)

A street glide? C'mon that is like riding a cushman compared to the R3T. Those bikes are entirely too small and I have never owned a Harley that didn't spend more time at the dealer than in my garage.

I just returned from a 4 day trip and 80 miles/hour is no big deal on my 08.

I just did 250 miles on my R3T today and can report the following:

No vibration, though I'd love a 6th gear.

A full fairing would be "OK" but I'd like this stuff:

• ABS
  • Cruise control/throttle assist
And I sure wish the bike was more dependable. From what I've personally experienced with my R3T in 2 short years, I can not, will not recommend it to others. No way. I enjoy RIDING my bike, not waiting for it to come out of the shop.:( Tis a pity that (several) Triumph dealers have seen my bike so much; that's just unacceptable.:mad:

Why doesn't the R3T sell better? Prospective buyers read reviews from you and me and the other Rocket riders on this site and they say...."Oh, hell, no!" On top of the mechanical issues, Triumph still refuses to step up and fix obvious flaws (ignition, etc.).

No, the bike could be great, just great, but Triumph has a ways to go first.

But, hey, that's just one guy...

It could be a little bit of a lot of things. Triumph does not have a large foot print here. I never see any Triumph advertising on the TV or the bike races. Lack of aftermarket parts, Etc. There are a lot of reasons, but if I had of taken a test ride first,I would not have bought it. I know that's blunt, but for a high speed, long distance guy like me, being able to ride at speed with no vibration is huge. You should go ride a new Harley touring bike and see for yourself. That is if you've not ridden one lately since 2009. Very smooth once off of idle. Very smooth.

It's almost to smooth. I can easily cruise at 80+, thankfully the highwy patrol has alway been busy with someone else when saw them.

I too wish there was a 6th gear.. It would lope along great at highway speeds, and if the 6th gear were tall enough it would be capable of closer to 200 MPH!.. lol :) I personally have not had a problem running around the country on my Rocket Standard.. although it has been a while since I've been on a real trip! too long!.. But there are times I would have liked a little more comfort..

I've ridden many Harleys as well, and the Rocket isn't a Road King or Road Glide, etc.. Those are very comfy bikes, and the ones I've owned and been around have been very reliable. I can see myself owning another one someday. But I've been a Triumph fan most of my life as well, and I still love the instant monster power at any speed that my Rocket provides... :)

I had an ultra classic and it was not so comfy, went through a complete oil change on a trip through AR, LA, TX and back home.

My 06 Road King was comfortable enough I guess, it just couldnt get out of its own way........

R3 sails

If you spend as much on your rocket as an equivalent HD , you can have nicely modded bike that will out out perform any bike of this size. my mild mod R3R will do 70mph in 2nd(under load) regularly. It just a tune issue, and of-coarse money.

Back