Stupid things seasoned motorcyclists do.

Lets see who can top this one,,,
Last summer i went rididg with the dealer sponsored rally, it was about a 100 mile each way, on our way back, there was this terrible accident and according to the turnpike authority it was going to take at least 4 hrs to clear.
After an hour of waiting, i decided to ride on the showlder to the next overpass, get on the grass and jump on the street crossing the freeway since there were no exits anywhere close, easy right?.
I was wearing my yellow glasses since i knew i was going to be riding in to the night,,
I saw the next overpass and proceded to drive off the showlder, i made it about 100 feet and next i felt the rear fishtailing, i took off my glasses and found out i was in real wet ground, i went another 5 feet trying to get out and sunk so bad that my bike high centered,:eek: i got off the bike and it just sat there, sunk in the mud, i look back and the trafic is starting to move, im 60 miles from home and no one around to help, felt soooo stupid, the yellow glasses made the ground look dry as everywhere else,
Finally i called a friend and he went to help me, he was laughing his head off and before he helped me, he took a bunch of pics and showed them to my coworkers, talk about embarrasment:eek:

Seeing as how most of you are a bunch of old codgers...:p

What are some things you do that defy all reasoning when it's time to ride or while you are riding?

I am very good at putting on my jacket, helmet, and gloves, only to realize my key is in my pocket. Usually when my friends have all but motored off.
I forget to take my sunglasses off when I remove my helmet.
I sometimes clunk down into first gear....when my kickstand is still down.
Scoured a 100 square foot perimeter looking for my key only to find it sticking in my rear seat lock......45 minutes later.
I've beeped my horn when trying to start my bike. I used to hit my starter all the time after I sold my BMW when trying to make right turns.

Thanks JimmyMac for resurecting this thread. Hadn't seen it before - too funny.
Glad your leg's on the mend, btw.

I've done all of the above plus:

Put gloves on before helmet.
Go to take off at lights only to find I'm still in 4th.
Close bags too soon - thank god for plastic clips.
Forget to close bags.
Before I worked out how to always 'clunk' into first, having it jump out of gear with people watching.
Ridden off with bungy cord hanging from rack and bag lying on the ground.

Hey Mexican, remember when I neglected to put my bike in gear at Dog Patch in Arkansas and it rolled off the kickstand... :D But not a scratch on her.

I used to leave the turn signal on a whole lot, now I've got the R3T and they cancel themselves savin' all that senior moment embarrassment!!:roll:

I was rolling mine back out of the barn, where there is a drop of about 6 inches in maybe 12...kickstand down. When the rear tire dropped the kickstand levered the bike over as smooth as if I'd been on the left side with a 6 ft prybar. Gotta love the engine bars and highway pegs. I don't think the bike ended much lower than 45 degrees from vertical.

A few days after having installed front and rear dresser bars, I was adding helmet locks to my Kury ISO grips out on a nice and level area of my driveway. I had the bars pushed all the way over to right to make the left side install a bit easier. As we all know, the beast doesn't have alot of stability when parked due to its minimal kickstand lean angle, even when the handlebar is cocked all the way to the left side. I needed to grab a different sized allen wrench from the garage, about 20 feet away, so I made sure to check that the bike was stable and turned around to get the tool. No sooner had I turned my back and walked 3-4 paces did I hear a soft. but agonizingly, hellish crunching sound. I immediately turned around, aghast to see my shiny, new baby settling over onto her new crash bars. I'd swear you could hear my plaintiff scream "Noooooooo" a few towns over!:eek: Fortunately, I am the only one who could ever discern the minor scuffs it left on discrete portions of the chrome bars!:D ****ed good thing I had those dresser bars mounted!!!:rolleyes:

My regular, senior moment faux pas is forgetting to put in my ear plugs after gearing up. I always wear full gear including armored uppers and lowers with lots of pockets/zippers, a full face helmet + sunglasses and gloves. Therefore, it's quite a to do getting mounted up making certain that all pockets are properly closed so as not to inadvertently lose this or that (don't ask!) and then, very embarrasing when my riding mates are ready to roll and I have to put down the stand, remove gloves, remove sunglasses, remove helmet, search for which pocket I left the earplugs in, insert them and then reverse the process with my gear...:mad:

haha

Glad its not just me then im forever gearing up just to find my key is still in my pocket.
also i wear to different helmets depending on weather or mood usually i wear a full face but sometimes i wear an open with a neoprene mask and i always do the mask up and forget the helmet and have to stop when it starts flapping in the breaze .
never forget with the fullface so i must subconciously think ive done up the helmet when i do the mask up.
either that or im just an idiot lol:D

Good Things

As we all get older and these senior moments increase with both intensity and duration good things can come out of the condition. You will find yourself meeting new people everyday and you can hide your own Easter eggs.........

Back