Stupid things seasoned motorcyclists do.

Britman - done that more than once and will likely do it time or two more; but, I'm not quite so slow on the up-take :D Must have been misdirection from the facts:p

Jamie - so sorry to hear of the misfortune. I too had an occasion when I headed rear-first toward the ditch in a brief panic. Thankfully the brakes work when travelling in reverse. Though not so smoothly on a gravel parking lot:eek: You flight into the ditch must have been a short-one; whereby reaction time was quite limited?

Sorry to hear about the Green Machine's misfortune. For a creature that is so graceful and easy to handle when under power, they can turn into a beast when something unexpected happens at slow speeds or stopped. Guess that was a scary moment for you too, HeR3tic. Thanks for sharing! :bch:

For a creature that is so graceful and easy to handle when under power, they can turn into a beast when something unexpected happens at slow speeds or stopped. quote]

Correct assessment, Wibur. The handlebar has just been replaced. While the bike was in the shop, I got the Wilbers progressive fork springs installed. A spare Mad Dog MkII upper r/h can is on order from Australia. And I'll live with the paint scratches until next winter. The tank will get a respray then:eek:. Maybe... I'll add a second colour to it, then. Bonnie-type "wings" over the Triumph badges in cream with gold pinstriping in-between;). Jamie

Hm... well, so far I've managed to pop the bike in second gear while trying to kick the sidestand down. In front of pretty much all of the Idaho Motorcycle Club, Desert Mountain Cycle, a couple of cops, paramedics, and firemen (first official benefit ride with the IMC...). Heel-toe shifters are nice... but you kinda need to pay attention to what you're doing.

That, and the first day I had the bike, I didn't know about the sidestand's-gotta-be-up-to-engage-a-gear. Embarrassed myself in front of a couple of my gearhead buddies.

My stupidest thing happened today. I was changing out the oil filter and upon installing the new one noticed that it didn't seat as normal and i wasn't able to get that extra half turn to seal it up. I applied quite a bit of pressure with a filter wrench but not much movement. I was puzzled but went ahead and put the new oil in the bike.

Fired it up and all seemed normal. Then I goosed the throttle and oil shot out all over the garage floor.....major yikes. It was coming out right where the filter is supposed to seal up against the engine. I checked to see if the Napa parts guy gave me the right filter. I had come in asking for a purolator and he cross referenced it to a Napa Gold. Turns out he gave me the 1356 and it should have been the 1358.:flame:

What a mess. Fortunately I turned the bike off immediately.

****!

Had never worn an ipod while riding, decided to give it a go. Rode down the driveway, turned left and rode 20 yards to the first corner. ****! Ipods not playing! Took my hand of the clutch at very low revs to fark around with my ipod. Stalled, left foot down in a ditch, big girl over the top. Bent my leg back like an ostrich and drove my tibial plateau two inches into the shaft of my tibia. Titanium plate and 8 screws later I am now walking after three months on crutches!

Back