Stupid things seasoned motorcyclists do.

Leaving turn signal on...alot. Used to leave key in ignition and sometimes turned on, not good for the battery or my pride when I come out of the pub and it's dead. Not easy to jumpstart a Rocket. Bought a cheap rubber key chain that goes around my wrist. Now if I leave the bike I automatically notice if the wrist thing is not there and go right back to the bike. But the dumbest was riding the twisties on Needles Highway with a 120 lb. chick on the back, good girl, just hard to manage 180's with the Rocket plus 120.

A couple of days ago i pulled up beside a ****** rocket at a stoplight. I was acting cool and bad assed, when for no reason i stomped my Rocket into first gear with no clutch applied :eek: instantly lurching foward and killing the engine. I don't think i've even done that when i was drinking! Bigern

Hero - sounds like first hand experience. Tell me more. Next thing, you'll be relating the times you've forgotten to put your feet down at the stop light. Old geezer:eek: my ass!

Wilbur - that I've done. And that loud mouth Stebel airhorn is unmistakable. You can't look behind you as if to blame your breaking wind on the guy behind you; at least not convincingly.

Jus funnin. Don't get your prostate in an uproar:D

I was showing off to some college girls on my stage II bandit 1200 several years ago. We were out on a pretty desolate two lane highway out where I live. We both pulled out of a bank parking lot. I went to pull a 2nd gear wheelie once we were up to about 40 mph and still had it in first. I almost wore the bike as a hat. Foolish yes, but funny none the less. I don't do that stuff anymore.

I did forget to put my kickstand down once after moving my bike cause I didn't like how it was sitting. Got off and 2 seconds later it was going down. Managed to grab it and keep it from going all the way over. Lucky for me it fell towards me. :eek:

I'm Ready for the Home

I had to bring this one back after what I did last Saturday. Took the Old Fat Bottom Girl for short early morning spin and after about 20 miles PULLED into a front parking space at a 7-11 for a cup of coffee. Drank my Joe and answered about thirty questions about the bike before deciding to head on back home. I backed the Beast out of the parking spot, pulled in the clutch and fired up the Jars. As soon as I dropped her into gear, she died. My first thought, "**** I hope no one is watching", they were. Footed her back into the spot, pulled in the clutch, hit the starter, nothing. Like a reject out of the movie Quest for Fire, I kept turning the key and hitting the starter button for about 10 minutes. Not once did I think of putting the bike in netural for a try because it should start in gear with the clutch pulled in, RIGHT. Finally with the helpful crowd gathered around, to include a couple of Harley riders, I decided to move the bike to the back of lot to free up the space and reduce the embarrassment factor as much as possible. I backed it out again, turned the key, put her in netural, and hit the starter, fired right up. I dropped in gear and she was fine. Like a ton of bricks it hit me, the Beast was purring like a kitten because this time, the friggin kick stand was up. I am posting this story because I know no one on this site would ever make fun of another R/3 rider's dumb ass mistake. I would also like to let everyone know I will be happy to diagnose any mechanical problems in Nashville.......

Joining the Club

About a month ago. I was parking the Rocket uphill, on a steep slope. I was still on it. I put the kickstand down but foolishly forgot to engage 1st gear. The Rocket immediately started rolling backwards, the kickstand grinding the asphalt. The rear wheel kind of steered itself to the side of the slope and ended up in the gutter. Nothing I could do. The Rocket fell into it at once. So did I. Damage: A bent handlebar, a smashed Mad Dog can and scratches on the tank.

Plus a badly bruised ego:(. Jamie

Back