Strange issue. Headlight goes out and abs light comes on

Good morning @DEcosse

I've set up with the jumper wire method from the Red/Blue wire side of fuse 8 to the horn positive Black/Blue.

(My horn wires are connected to a relay which switches a dedicated fused live from the battery going directly to two louder horns, rather than the stock tweeter)

Asides from that the other electrical mod is where I have my TomTom satnav power connected to the Red/Blue and Black Ground wires from the Aux Lighting connector 55, it needed a switched live when the ignition on to power up and down with the bike and when thing were running fine it seemed okay to take it from here.
Connector 55 is behind the relay with just the purple wire left in it in the second photo. I will update with results.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_121051133.jpg
    IMG_20200401_121051133.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200401_121018306.jpg
    IMG_20200401_121018306.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 11
Took it out for a quick spin (essential journey for food of course). Have results..

With the jumper in place, after around half mile ish, bike will shut-down completely but the Speedo Red-AlarmBell comes on.

So I hit my switch to ground the keyless brown wire (same as clutch pull) and the bike powers back up, clocks sweep, then I can restart it via ignition or bump start in high gear.

No headlights\taillight\ABS going out on their own, just the whole bike powers off.

(Now this scenario was also happening very intermittently before, but the most common issue was the headlight/taillight/ABS circuit tripping out).

So to get back home, I removed the jumper and re-inserted fuse 8. Now I go back to the original issue where the headlight/taillight/ABS trips but bike keep running. If I want the lights back on, I have to switch off the killswitch and back on, then ground brown wire and start the bike as normal and lights are back on till it happens again.

Now it doesn't seem to happen if I pootle about, and I mean really pootling about with hardly any throttle. But no one rides like that. If I give it welly, I can almost make it happen now when revs up around 4k

Martin

Hi @DEcosse, I will try to swap the Blue And Orange Wires on the power connector (but I'll change the corresponding female ones opposite on the main harness connector), see what I get then

Do you possibly have a coil breaking down or something? it really seems odd that it only happens at higher rpm, it really seems that you have some high noise generation going on that is not typical
Know anyone else with a Triumph? Doesn't have to be a Rocket - It would be great to test it on another bike to see whether bike or box issue. Just about any of the Triples post 08 would have same type connectors and be plug n play

I've got some spare coils. I'll get em in and see what's the scoop. I do think it could be related to that also as it kept crashing out the tuners PC too. I'll see if I can find someone who's willing to test it out for me.

I want to avoid it coming back till we know conclusively Martin - with you being in the UK, it would be a month round trip pretty much

Of course I understand Ken and really do suspect the bike electrics so I'm happy to proceed with three fault finding. Keeps me busy during this funny ol time of nothing else. Anyone in the South East region of the UK wanna have a demo test out of a DEcosse keyless ;)

Back