Storing my R3 'till spring -- any advice?

I fill my tank with Shell Premium gas when storing. It does not have ethanol in it (ethanol will absorb water). Filling the tank helps prevent condensation and water contamination in the gas since the bike is stored in an unheated shed. The battery is put on a tender. Never had an issue with my America or Rocket starting in the spring.

I have had problems in the past with my lawn mower and snow blower after sitting for several months. These were also parked with full tanks but when I used fuel with ethanol such as most regular brands, I invariably had problems necessitating pulling the float bowl and cleaning the green crud from the main jet. When I added fuel stabilizer with fuel containing ethanol, I still ended up with issues. Adding the stabilizer with non ethanol gas resulted in no issues after several months. I still add it but the jury's out on it's effectiveness. It would appear non ethanol gas is the key preventative measure for me.

@JackMcCornack you know riding the bike once a month for 25 miles really makes all the problems of long term storage go away. Do you have a family member or friend who could ride it once a month for you ? Seriously consider doing that. The weather in Portland is mild enough to take a short ride during the winter. I do here in S.W. Idaho.

I'll respectfully disagree. I've used Stabil religiously in all my bikes, atv's, lawn tractors and other small engines for nearly 20 years. They have always started and ran fine 6+ months later. My ex-father in law refused to listen to that advice. He was a chemist and thought he knew best. Every spring he was taking his lawn equipment to the shop because it either wouldn't start or would run for crap because the carb was all gummed/varnished up. I had a bike a few years back that I had not ridden 2-1/2 years. When I parked it, I filled the tank, added stabil and pulled the battery. 2-1/2 years later, it started right up and ran without any issues just like it did when I parked it. Do what you want, but I swear by it.
I have been using Lucas fuel stabiliser and have not had problems up to now.

Here in Belgium we have two kind of fuel: 95 octane E10 and 98 octane E5. E10 can have up to 10% of ethanol. The Rocket 3 (2.5) runs well on E10 and has been made for this kind of fuel. But when I am going to store my Rocket for the winter (4-5 months) I will gass up with E5 to have less ethanol.

Good article:

Here in Belgium we have two kind of fuel: 95 octane E10 and 98 octane E5. E10 can have up to 10% of ethanol. The Rocket 3 (2.5) runs well on E10 and has been made for this kind of fuel. But when I am going to store my Rocket for the winter (4-5 months) I will gass up with E5 to have less ethanol.

Good article:

You are absolutely correct, the higher ethanol gas options have only a 2-3 month shelf life compared to pure or purer gas, which is about 6 months.

Back