Storing my R3 'till spring -- any advice?

JackMcCornack

.020 Over
Ride
2004 Triumph Rocket III
Are there any gas treatments that will work on this? I just went through installing a new fuel pump and having the injector nozzles cleaned, but it took a couple weeks and cost a couple hundred bucks, and I'd rather not do that again. Of course, last time it had been stored fifteen years and this time I'm only expecting eight months max, but still. It only has a smidge of fuel (a quart or two) but fuel injector systems stay full of fuel if you run them 'till they quit (unlike carbs, which pretty well suck to the bottom when they run out, and you can remove/drain the float bowls in situ). Is there anything I can add to the remaining fuel that will help keep my injector nozzles clean while they wait for my return?

Gas "treatment" ?

The short answer, is "No".

If you're pretty confident it'll be no more than eight months, I would make sure the tank is FULL, and I would have the battery on a tender.

If you absolutely have to store the bike, then fill the tank and add StaBIL. You can get it almost anywhere car stuff is sold or online: https://www.amazon.com/STA-BIL-22214-Fuel-Stabilizer-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B000B68V6I

After mixing StaBIL in the tank, run the engine for a few minutes to help get into the fuel system. This will protect the injectors to a point.

My best advice is not to store the bike more than a week at a time. This keeps the battery up and the fuel good and not separated. If you can find it, use non-ethanol fuel a few tanks before you park it long periods.

In my experience, Stabil is a palliative and waste of money.

Plenty of Captains, particularly the farther north, must store their bikes (not just Rockets) for months, and they survive.

Batteries do not like to sit idle, so that definitely needs attention.

Certainly good to look in on a machine, to admire it (why else have it) and note any changes.

And good Lord, storing in the elements is so much harder than inside.

Good luck.

In my experience, Stabil is a palliative and waste of money.

Plenty of Captains, particularly the farther north, must store their bikes (not just Rockets) for months, and they survive.

Batteries do not like to sit idle, so that definitely needs attention.

Certainly good to look in on a machine, to admire it (why else have it) and note any changes.

And good Lord, storing in the elements is so much harder than inside.

Good luck.

I'll respectfully disagree. I've used Stabil religiously in all my bikes, atv's, lawn tractors and other small engines for nearly 20 years. They have always started and ran fine 6+ months later. My ex-father in law refused to listen to that advice. He was a chemist and thought he knew best. Every spring he was taking his lawn equipment to the shop because it either wouldn't start or would run for crap because the carb was all gummed/varnished up. I had a bike a few years back that I had not ridden 2-1/2 years. When I parked it, I filled the tank, added stabil and pulled the battery. 2-1/2 years later, it started right up and ran without any issues just like it did when I parked it. Do what you want, but I swear by it.

I have been at this a long time too.

I've added STABIL to all kinds of machines, that sat for various times, and far more often than not, there were fuel-related problems.

I have NOT used STABIL for a long time, and have NOT had any fuel-related problems over the same period.

We here up North have different products than Stabil . I personally put it away with a full tank of Super Non Ethanol . Half way through the winter I shiffen out the gas to burn it in my snowblower and top of the R3 with new Super Non Ethanol , & yes I do start it at least once to burn out the old gas in the lines . I let it get hot just like I were doing the 12 min tune thingy . No problems so far.

Back