Stepper motor removal

Thanks Tribal
Secondaries were already removed when I purchased her, I removed the motor and the bracket for exactly the reason you mentioned,it looked like things could get interesting on a bumpy road lol.
The stepper motor cycles/ vibrates constantly ,not sure if that’s what it’s supposed to do or if it’s faulty.

[/QUOTE]

Evening guys The almost three year anniversary of trying to get the Rocket running exceptably continues....... after much advice from you guys and continual fettling I’m at the point of covering her in fuels demand setting her alight ,breaking her as she’s probably worth more in parts or continuing down the love/ hate relationship I have with this bike.
Have replaced all the usual suspects as in primary TPS, map hoses and rubber caps on the throttle bodies, cleaned and balanced the throttle bodies,return springs and stepper to within an inch of their life’s and still have the wandering never stable Rocket tick over ,absolutely love this bike but hate that when I’m heading into a corner the tick over decides it’s going to make life interesting and not shut down making the whole experience a little like a Friday night in the 70’s riding home on a Kawasaki triple!
Having read every bit of this forums advice on the subject I decided to physically remove the stepper motor and stash it in the emp space that was the air box along with the now relocated coolant overflow tank to keep it company.
The good bit is the bike runs the best it ever has in my ownership, ticks over beautifully ,engine brakes whilst blipping down the gearbox and the only ass twitching comes from my own riding limitations not the ever increasing idle speed.
But like most things owning a Rocket ,solving one problem seems create another...........with the stepper stashed under the seat it continually sounds like it’s trying to do something,unfortunately it sounds like I have the wife’s rabbit with me!
Is there anyway to disconnect without getting the warning light/fault code, is it normal for the stepper to sound like it’s working all the time or is that a fault in itself?

i am like most of the guys that think u shouldn't remove the stepper motor but will answer your question.
of coarse i am assuming that with the motor removed and in airbox u r not getting codes/light.
then u can measure the ohms on the motor and replace with a resistor of the same value ohms. keep in mind that the resistor gets real hot.

Sounds like you stepper motor may be cycling under your seat like it does when starting.
Don't other people simply disconnect it from power when removing it completely from their bike like @sonny did?
Aren't there a number of air pressure sensors as well as the induction air temp one that would effect 'choke' type idle fueling?
Could it also be an intermittently faulty sensor, plug or wiring issue to/from sensors.
Mine is still where it was originally. All i did was disconnected the armature section which allows the stepper motor to do its thing. You have to leave it connected electrical or else face codes. Never looked back bike runs great.

Mine is still where it was originally. All i did was disconnected the armature section which allows the stepper motor to do its thing. You have to leave it connected electrical or else face codes. Never looked back bike runs great.
But does it cycle continuously with the engine running as described by OP?

No. I have never heard it cycle.

Thanks for the input chaps, doesn’t seem like there’s a definitive solution to the tick over/ idle problem and like everything in life there are many different opinions as to what one should/ shouldn’t change to repair or try to improve the ride.

Thanks for the input chaps, doesn’t seem like there’s a definitive solution to the tick over/ idle problem and like everything in life there are many different opinions as to what one should/ shouldn’t change to repair or try to improve the ride.
My guess would be its cycling because it was told to move to a certain throttle percentage and when the ecu looks at the TPS for movement it reads none. Or its stuck in a home cycle and again since its unhooked mechanically the ecu again can't see the movement to the required voltage/ throttle percentage. Just thinking out loud here.

I removed the stepper motor 30000 miles ago ,when I switch the bike on I can hear it cycling but after the bike starts I can't hear it anymore. This could be because my exhaust is so loud and i'm wearing earplugs :whitstling:.The bike runs fine, but I think Warp an Turbo are correct in saying that it should really be in it's proper position and functioning correctly .

My guess would be its cycling because it was told to move to a certain throttle percentage and when the ecu looks at the TPS for movement it reads none. Or its stuck in a home cycle and again since its unhooked mechanically the ecu again can't see the movement to the required voltage/ throttle percentage. Just thinking out loud here.

i agree with what u said :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
plus how do u set the primary tps without a stepper motor???

It can be done. I adjusted mine with no problem. The stepper motor is not all that. Nice to have on a cold morning and that's about it. To many headaches with the **** thing. Bike idles and runs better without it.

Back