I’ve only got 11000 miles. I can’t see how there could be wear already. I suppose in the off season I can have a look at the headstock bearings and fix things myself.
It sounds like crappy dealer work to me.
I’m capable of doing this stuff. I just wanted to have my dealer do the service for my peace of mind. I end up getting the opposite.
One last question about the wheel weights, I have a small double weight on just one side. Should I remove one of the weight squares and stick it on the other side of the rim in the same location? Would that help?

Just validate sonny’s suggestions, I yesterday got done with the steering head bearing job myself( which was not possible without sonny’s help and guidance....you rock @sonny).....I have bet been able to ride it as I have some other jobs pending due to some parts......but to validate the stock bearing condition.....my bike has only 6500 miles on it......see the picture below of the stock bearing.....tu can’t call this packing a bearing with grease.....☹
........the lower bearing was frozen on the triple tree, I had to cut it out through dremel and hammering it out......
NOPE The weights should be equal on both sides of rim. Asked a dealer one time if it was normal for him to balance a tire without removing the old weights first. One more food for thought you can adjust head stock bearing all day long but if they are worn out it just does not help much. All wobbles of any kind disappeared after replacing the races and bearing in the headstock with a lot of grease something Triumph did not do on my X or another member's bike on here. Bearings were packed in some kind of slim. Not good. Premature wear.
75547419-B469-4435-A3F0-07F5FEA60F90.jpeg
63A78209-4326-4B9C-B9A6-E5206F5FAA44.jpeg
0189B27D-7FF7-484A-AAB5-2EB4192CB53F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve only got 11000 miles. I can’t see how there could be wear already. I suppose in the off season I can have a look at the headstock bearings and fix things myself.
It sounds like crappy dealer work to me.
I’m capable of doing this stuff. I just wanted to have my dealer do the service for my peace of mind. I end up getting the opposite.
One last question about the wheel weights, I have a small double weight on just one side. Should I remove one of the weight squares and stick it on the other side of the rim in the same location? Would that help?
Just two weights i would not worry about.

Last edited:
I've been through every solution, it seems endemic to the Touring model. I've thought it went away with new tires, but always came back in less than 1000 miles. Wait until you feel the high speed weave, on a modified or limiter adjusted bike, above 120 or 130 mph, it starts slowly rotating along it's longitudinal axis. It never gets worse, like a tank slapper, but it's pretty disconcerting the first couple times. My theory is that's why the Touring is limited to about 115 mph, Triumph knew it was unstable at high speed.

Back