Avon Cobra White Walls Wheel Wobble WTF ?

uforocket3

.020 Over
Ride
14 R3T
Just had Cobra white walls fitted today on the 3T and let go of the bars on the way home and f**k me the bars where having a seizure !! Assured the wheels were balanced ..
Is this normal for white walls ?

I had Avon Cobra on the front and it wobbled like crazy. I could not get close to 100 MPH it wobbled so bad. Also if I lift my hands off the bars it would wobble. Took the tire off and went back to the tire changer to rebalance the tire. We both stood there as the computer balancer did it's thing... showed balanced!

Took the tire off and installed a Metz. Wobble was gone as I went over and beyond 100 MPH with no trouble at all. Wobble was gone at lower speeds as well.

The tire changer guy told me that he has seen a lot of problems with Avons. Customers just was not happy with them and switch them out like I did.

I have had the above conversation more than 3 times on R3owners... lol.

Might as well save it so I can just copy and paste it the next time a person talks about how crappy Avons are.

Of course you will have the very few that state "Oh I've never had any trouble with Avon Cobras". Well they are the lucky few and their time may come if they continue usage.

I believe ever once in awhile the manufacture gets the belts or whatever it is inside the tire aligned correctly so there is no wobble. However why would I buy Avon... install it... run it... and then have to throw it away. $$$$$$$$$$$$

So it's like playing Russian roulette .... you might be lucky.... and then again you might not.

I have a cobra whitewall fitted on the front and have the same problem. It wobbles at lower speeds. I have about 17000k on it and am just running it out. Will replace with something else, maybe Dunlop to go with the Commander 2 on the rear.

Just in case have you guys checked your head stock bearings? I read a thread yesterday where it eliminated the wobble problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think it's probably the bike is fine and it's mully's head wobbling... ;p

but be that as it may i tried the cobra on the front and mine seems fine - but it needs to be aired up fully and maybe a bit more... i thought something was wrong with mine but it seems that my tendency to run a pound or two light matters more with this tire than others...

I recently put a cobra on the rear from my other bike and think it is the worst tyre for the R3R, it will break traction and smokes through first gear (just on throttle only) and can be skate around in second, I can wait to get my wheels back from powder coating so the new Bridgestone can provide the grip. Cobra up front is great tho.

Just in case have you guys checked your head stock bearings? I read a thread yesterday where it eliminated the wobble problem.
Yes have checked the adjustment. Maybe a coincidence but the wobble started with the whitewalls. I had one on the back also which wore out. after it was replaced there was a distinct improvement but still that wobble up front.

Yes have checked the adjustment. Maybe a coincidence but the wobble started with the whitewalls. I had one on the back also which wore out. after it was replaced there was a distinct improvement but still that wobble up front.
Ok I just wanted to point out a possibility. I have had good luck with Avons over the years mostly fronts as the rear do not yield but 4500 miles if I am nice to them. Just changed to a 140 front have about 5000 miles on it and will run no handed for miles at any speed. That being said its not impossible to believe that a few bad tires get out there or some one tore a cord internally mounting it with out being able to see it on the outside. Back when they had a recall on some 240 rears mine was one of them probably never ran it over 185 but never had a problem except for tire life. Still I graciously took the free replacement :D

had a metz front do that so i never took both off the bars again till i changed to cobra then it worked ok.
i am with warp a bad tire or a bad mount. now i think i am a little loose on the front bearings so that might have played a small part in the tank slapper. now on new tires i take my hands off the bars very careful and keep them close to the bars to test them out.:)

I had Avon Cobra on the front and it wobbled like crazy. I could not get close to 100 MPH it wobbled so bad. Also if I lift my hands off the bars it would wobble. Took the tire off and went back to the tire changer to rebalance the tire. We both stood there as the computer balancer did it's thing... showed balanced!

Took the tire off and installed a Metz. Wobble was gone as I went over and beyond 100 MPH with no trouble at all. Wobble was gone at lower speeds as well.

The tire changer guy told me that he has seen a lot of problems with Avons. Customers just was not happy with them and switch them out like I did.

I have had the above conversation more than 3 times on R3owners... lol.

Might as well save it so I can just copy and paste it the next time a person talks about how crappy Avons are.

Of course you will have the very few that state "Oh I've never had any trouble with Avon Cobras". Well they are the lucky few and their time may come if they continue usage.

I believe ever once in awhile the manufacture gets the belts or whatever it is inside the tire aligned correctly so there is no wobble. However why would I buy Avon... install it... run it... and then have to throw it away. $$$$$$$$$$$$

So it's like playing Russian roulette .... you might be lucky.... and then again you might not.

And you wonder why the state sends you nasty grams:D

I blame the white paint, paint always throws thingymajigs off balance:banghead:

Back