Starting problems when its cold...

svmaranatha

Standard Bore
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic
I might be an idiot, but I have been having problems getting my Rocket to crank when it is cold. So far I have invested in 3 batteries and an Odyssey 6amp charger but I am just getting frustrated. This morning the temp was about 50 degrees F (is that about 11 C?) and wuh, wuh, wuh. It makes me feel like the big loser on a crappy game show. Grrrrrr!

Okay, so the bike lives in its soft garage (living on a sailboat means that there is no real garage and it just has a cover and no power to sit on a trickle charger). I just installed a new Odyssey 545 mj a week ago, no freezes since and I rode the bike a good deal. It sat for about 2 days.

I still have the old battery (I think it is a Scorpion AGM) and it seems to be holding a charge just fine. I am going to drop it back in the bike and see if it will start better for now. I am going to throw the Odyssey on the charger for the night and see if it gets any better. The bike seems to crank fine if the temp is over 60F.

Between this and the nutty idle speed problems I have been getting a little frustrated and wondering if my favorite bike was the right choice. I just read about the possible fix for the idle speed, so I am going to try that fix this weekend and see if it helps. This cranking problem has really got me puzzled though.

There has been alot said on this subject I had the same prob and went and bought a new bat from canadiantire andit was the direct replacement for the stock one still had to jump start bike I went back over the batterie conections with a file and wire brush and now it starts better my old bat was in the bike from new and it is sitting on the bench at 12.6 volts has noy bin charged in months its still good

A number of the guys point to oil viscosity. At 50 F, 15W-40 gets kinda gooey. Maybe a lighter oil will help.

Sometimes batts are bad out of the box. You might take it to a full-on batt diagnostic shop (a good Les Schwab or whatever Bremerton has going).

Does it still crank slowly after you run around for a while, or just first thing in the morning?
Does a charged old batt do the same thing as the new batt?
Any chance that there is a loose connection between batt and starter, or corrosion on those electrical fittings?

These are just my old dead batt standard list of questions. I'm no expert by any means. These other guys may have a better idea.

Check out this thead:

Also this thread:

Good luck.

idk said:
I would suspect the TPS is either set wrong, faulty, or both. Have you checked that with your TuneBoy?
+1 HOWEVER... faulty TPS's can give apparently good readings on diagnostics..
Just about to go get mine replaced today, will post the results later.( Reads ok on tuneboy, but all the symptoms are there.)

Most Captains install the Odyssey PC 625 instead of the smaller 545. It's a little snug but it works.

Cold start problem under 35 deg are a common complaint. Under 60 is a little odd.

I would like to see what your crank angle sensor looks like. If it has metal shavings stuck to the magnet it could advance the spark and make it hard to start. Worth a look I would say, I would also jump a wire from the battery to the starter motor to see if it will make a difference. If it does consider putting a heavier wire in place.

Got my new TPS today, running like a dream again :D :D :D
Old one went on the blink after a hard ride over a rough bumpy track with cattle grids. We were hooting along at a fair lick & the bike was taking a lot of thudding vibes.Started running real rough after, & the fuelling was out. Wouldn't idle on starting, & died at junctions.Disconnection the battery & reconnecting( obviously!) helps, but didn't get back to normal until then new one was fitted ( warranty).

Good for you Bones.
Now SvMaranatha,
I think TDragger has a point on the bigger battery.
Alot of motor to try to spin for that smaller battery.
I'd for sure check the angle sensor, and the TPS for the idle.
The crank angle sensor will take all of 2 minutes to do.
The TPS a little longer, I'd loosen it up and just move it a little to see if it corrects the problem.
If not, Take it to the dealer and get a new one.
Bet between those options, you get the kinks worked out.

Back