Have you checked the safety switches? If in gear, the clutch must be pulled, and the kickstand switch is in play, too. So there are three switches here besides the starter button. Then the roll over/tip over safety switch must be good and in position.

Start by pulling the starter solenoid part and re-check the condition of the contacts inside at the end of the plunger. Then double check the starter button and kill switches. Move on to the clutch, gear and kickstand switches. If they check good, then check for broken wires between them and the ECU. The shop manual has good diagrams of the circuits, but it doesn't show routing which means you have to trace them. All this assumes the usual battery cables and their connections are sound. Try adding a second ground cable routed directly to under one of the starter bolts and not the engine block. This gives the starter an independent ground that you know is good.

I suspect you have a damaged wire where the insulation was abraded and then some of that Louisiana humidity corroded the copper inside. Tough to find but possible.

I replaced the battery, starter relay, rebuilt starter solenoid and added double battery cables. The cables did help it turn over faster but I still got the click, click.

Some may not agree with my fix, I pulled the starter solenoid plunger out and cut two coils off the spring. I ride daily and it's been weeks since I've gotten the click click.

Ive been through 2 kickstand switches they get bit and wires damaged. I have one if yours is cut, easy to check, theres a bracket that holds it tucked up against motor thats where mine breaks well 2 have ive corrected issue lol

Here is the way I look at your problem.
If it clicks, that means the safeties are working: neutral light, clutch switch, and starter button.
Now if it is a small click, the relay may be bad. If it is a louder click the relay is passing the curent to the starter solenoid which engages (click) teeth of the flywheel and at the same time will make conection of the positive battery cable to the starter motor. At that time, the motor should spin over unless you have a bad starter solenoid or you do not have enough volts/amps in which case the volts will drop and the relay will disengage.
Often, it will happen more than once. I would guess that this is true about 95% of the time and I would never carve this in stone.
A volt meter is your best helper.
A mechanic can jumper a wire from the positive battery post to the starter solenoid terminal to check starter/solenoid operation.
Do not do this with bike in gear or by pressing down with your fingers on the wires to make a good connection: it will get real hot. lol.

I think the solenoid gets activated and the plunger moves forward but it doesn't move far enough or the copper washer isn't making
both contacts. Mine made a loud click under the seat at the starter before my fix and now it's started dozens of times without the dreaded click.

Maybe you should try to install another relay, only for starter, with positive cable from battery like I did.

In my opinion problem is in electrical contacts, starter doesn't get anough voltage for spinning. They all shuld be cleaned. Also try to remove negative cable fron engine to one of the starter bolts. The best decision is to make triangle of negative cables: 2 starter bolts and engine.

Back