Mittzy,

I think full removing is the go.

I cleaned up the new old one last night, all looks good but some of the markings and numbers on the DENSO sticker are not the same as in your photo.
Should it all be exactly the same?
Or am I okay to try it and see?

Don't want to break anything :(
Post a picture of it.
the body of the motor is a little longer i think

Okay, a picture, ill have a go at that a little later.

But yes, it is a little longer on the body of the motor part.
Any ideas what numbers on the starter mean, that way I might be able to check out the motor power.

I was a little worried that I could cause a problem if it all bolts up okay but is not suited to the job.

What model Toyota did you get it from?

Not all Corollas / Camry's have the same one it is year dependant I think.

apparently it is from a 1991 Camry.

But how do you tell really at the wreckers, have to rely a bit on what they say,?

4cyl only not 6 motor version, but they may have all been 4s then. Nah, there was a 2.5l V6 version but probably rare then.

Firstly, John Ward, sorry for taking over this thread :rolleyes:

The $20 starter doesn't fit, too large diameter.
Oh well, I can keep the solenoid bits as spares.

I have had the original out, cleaned and sanded the contacts and checked everything else.
So no worse than it was, but I still want that larger motor, 1.4kW
This is the one I have.
IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0055.JPG
I know it's not the same numbers, but how do I get the exact one?
Probably off to an auto electric I think.

Firstly, John Ward, sorry for taking over this thread :rolleyes:

The $20 starter doesn't fit, too large diameter.
Oh well, I can keep the solenoid bits as spares.

I have had the original out, cleaned and sanded the contacts and checked everything else.
So no worse than it was, but I still want that larger motor, 1.4kW
This is the one I have.
IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0055.JPG
I know it's not the same numbers, but how do I get the exact one?
Probably off to an auto electric I think.

No don't apologise I'm finding all this info really interesting and good reading! Good luck with ya starter!

Ey Up rocket people.. Well today tried to start the rocket but all I get is clicks from the starter area... think bugger mi battery has died..then on last try it spun over as usual and started! I let it run a while, stopped it 3 times and it started ok. Anyway called for some gas and click click it wouldn't spin the starter..gave it a last try and it started just fine. I'm thinking its the solenoid on the starter...can you get a refurb kit for the beast? Or do I have to buy a whole new unit?
I put 2 mm thick aluminium spacer plate between motor and starter. That gives bendix enough room to rotate,so it does not hit flywheel.

Back