OP may have meant brushes as I can't think of a single thing on the starter motor that would require shimming - sounds DODGY.
Below is a pick of brush set.
IMG_6588.JPG

The above is an after photo as I soaked it in vinegar and water for a week.
Below is the before shot (was submerged in water with battery connected)
IMG_6535.JPG
Could be he shimmed/adjusted the contacts between the motor and the solenoid? As they do get arced up a bit. Let me check and see if I have any pictures on my computer.

Starter innards.jpg

P8230035.JPG

If you decide to do the starter motor mod looks at these contacts and the ones in the starter and use the best. But I can see and remember the slop in the holes the contacts bolt in and the ability to adjust the contact surface even rotational.

Last edited:
Can anyone find/show the OP the information on the upgraded starter... which part number? I can't find it.

You need a new "upgraded" starter and larger positive and negative cables. This will have you back in business and it will better than it was before.

I don't do mechanic work for a living ...... but I did sleep at The Holiday Inn last night. :thumbsup:

Oh .... I thought his starter was junk because it was noisy. Why in the heck would the dealer "shim up" his starter in the first place? Sounds like a shade tree mechanic to me.

If it was power flow what the heck is the shims for?:confused::confused:

No shat!my thoughts zackly

Can anyone find/show the OP the information on the upgraded starter... which part number? I can't find it.

You need a new "upgraded" starter and larger positive and negative cables. This will have you back in business and it will better than it was before.

I don't do mechanic work for a living ...... but I did sleep at The Holiday Inn last night. :thumbsup:
55102_f3c201e2ca3b7b68b8e051469d0f0000.jpg

55104_4c1b5ea5eb90b0bacc57171172f46174.jpg

55103_58235fb26ac5e1a56a9a5cd6aa6b8f8c.jpg

Back