Ozarksflyfisher

.020 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer SE. Cranberry and Black
I have an 07 Classic Tourer, with 23,000. Had since 12,000. I think the starter system is bad. Has had many occasions of just clicking when attempting to start, but when I rock it in gear, will start. Dealer "shimmed up" starter a few years ago, and seemed to help a while. Now it's worse than ever. All contacts seem clean. Starter turning over seems more noisey. Should I just replace whole starter, or just solenoid? Looking at some on eBay. Not much of a mechanic, and want to keep things factory spec.

Battery ..... get one with oomph.
Battery Cables ... I have a metre of 200amp cable that I'm about to have lugged and replace my Pos and Neg Battery leads. The OEM leads don't carry enough amps!
In winter I put the bike on a battery tender the night before.
Welcome to living with a Rocket.
OH ......... Dealer stuff (or stuff-ups). They will look for mechanical stuff ..... plain fact is .... big engine ...... big electrickery to start it.

If the starter makes any noise but a fast whiiiiir off the bike - there is almost certainly a bearing on its way out.
This may be repairable - but I'll be honest I have not tried. But is unusual on Denso if it is so. But that would almost certainly mean wear on the internal reduction boxes.
The solenoid contacts are a known weak spot. I'd do that first.

Or upgrade your starter to the bigger unit. I did mine and it cranks the engine over much faster.
A great upgrade and have it on mine, but won't help if power flow is not good as I think this might be the case..

A great upgrade and have it on mine, but won't help if power flow is not good as I think this might be the case..

Oh .... I thought his starter was junk because it was noisy. Why in the heck would the dealer "shim up" his starter in the first place? Sounds like a shade tree mechanic to me.

If it was power flow what the heck is the shims for?:confused::confused:

Last edited:
Oh .... I thought his started was junk because it was noisy. Why in the heck would the dealer "shim up" his starter in the first place? Sounds like a shade tree mechanic to me.

????

Oh .... I thought his started was junk because it was noisy. Why in the heck would the dealer "shim up" his starter in the first place? Sounds like a shade tree mechanic to me.

OP may have meant brushes as I can't think of a single thing on the starter motor that would require shimming - sounds DODGY.
Below is a pick of brush set.
IMG_6588.JPG

The above is an after photo as I soaked it in vinegar and water for a week.
Below is the before shot (was submerged in water with battery connected)
IMG_6535.JPG

Back