Start-up problems

Rockit

.020 Over
I have noticed that after I turn the key and wait for the lights on the guages to go out (as recommneded) I need to hit the starter button a few times before the starter will kick in. The first several times I push it, nothing happens. Any similar experiences?

Hey Rockit, I've noticed that if I "rush" the process, I also don't get any reaction when the starter button is pushed. I wonder if the programming on your Rocket needs just a little more time. Have you tried waiting for 10 (or so) seconds before pushing the starter button? Give that a try. I don't know exactly what length of time I do wait but I sometimes am too anxious to fire the main engines. Let me know if the "waiting" helps. If not, some of the other captains are pretty dog-gone sharp with the units and will probably give better comments than I. See ya.

By the way, how many times is "several"?

Rockit said:
I have noticed that after I turn the key and wait for the lights on the guages to go out (as recommneded) I need to hit the starter button a few times before the starter will kick in. The first several times I push it, nothing happens. Any similar experiences?

Nope. it engages the first time on my bike.

There are several switches that need to be doing their job for all of this to work... the ignition switch, the starter button, the starter relay, the kick stand switch, the neutral safety switch, the clutch switch and at least one headlamp has to be in working order. If you have any loose connections at any of these it could cause your problem... you might check those, or if you are still under warranty have the dealer do it. It would byte to get stranded somewhere cause your starter won't enguage. It could also possibly be the battery itself or the battery connections...

There... I said it :D

I second the motion

Needle sweep and then start for me as well.

I will say that sometimes the starter turns over 5-6 seconds and I stop and hit the start button again. Usually if it's been sitting a few days it takes a few hits for the engine to catch. I was told not to pre throttle when you have FI ( but that was on my car).

Is it the same for motorcycles?

That is correct... the idle air stepper motor opens up when you hit the starter and the whole process is pretty much automatic. Some people crack the throttle open just a little when starting but that really isn't neccessary. Blipping the throttle before the engine is running doesn't do anything at all. Most old cars and some carburetted bikes had accelerator pumps in the carbs and you used to blip them before starting to prime the engine.

I have an Edlebrock 750 cfm Performer carb on my Caddy and when you pump that it shoots about a pint of gas down the bores. That car is a lot of fun but it ain't cheap to run :D

Hey Rockit,I let the guages sweep and it starts everytime.I just learned that you can put the kickstand down without killing the motor.This is my first injected anything so it is a real pleasure not getting gas on my hand to start it up.:D

Only In Neutral

Hey Bag...... I think the only way you can put down the kickstand without killing the engine is when you're in neutral. It's supposed to stop the engine if you're in any gear. If that's not the case......I'd have the dealer adjust it accordingly if for no other reason than safety.

Back