Spongy Brake Problem? Too Much Lever Travel?

owl

Turbocharged
Recently on this forum I've seen posts about this problem. Haven't got it myself, so I don't know whether this will be any use, but a question in this weeks Motorcycle News seemed to cover the problem. Reproduced in full :-

QUESTION : I've read in MCN that a fair few Triumph owners have got problems with their brakes; I've got a 2005 Triumph Sprint ST with spongy brakes and way too much travel at the lever as well. Is there a fix out there yet?

ANSWER : The problem is the brake pistons. The earlier bikes have a shiny metallic surface and they may have been assembled dry by the brake manufacturer. This makes the seals drag the pistons too far back off the pads, giving excessive travel.
The brake pistons now fitted in the Speed Triple have a special black coating thats less susceptible, but the major fix is to remove the calipers and pads and carefully lubricate the caliper pistons with brake grease. As long as the rest of the system is up to scratch it should totally transform the performance.

dragline708 said:
probably a white lithium as used on
rotor buttons in distributors

PS: ................ The rear will get used up 2 to1 faster then front even if
you use them 2 to 1 less

Stunta, doing those 12 o'clocks huh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Owl, thanks for a really great post. My dealer had recommended we 'clean the caliper', which was done by one of the lower echelon mechanics, (one that is several steps above my son, who is a self described,"Grundge Boy"). It seemed to help briefly, but I am sure it did not include any brake grease. Excess travel is EXACTLY what this has felt like all along. (Spoken from the past, before self adjusters and these new fangled disc thingys.) :lol:

i agree with your reflexion,one year later ,i've had seals changed in warranty by my dealer ,brakes seems to be better ,but after some kilometers the thing whas the same , so i think that problems are seal around pistons that not have the good position , so they need grease like you say... :wink:

Back