speedometer sticks

heydez

Standard Bore
My speedometer sticks. it is stuck on 110 mph. I haven't gone that fast but it will stick at 30 mph, then 30 will be the new 0 mph. it just keeps adding up. Does anyone know how I can locate the speedometer cable? It's tough not knowing how fast one goes!!

Cable? Those went out with leg warmers and cassette tapes. (maybe sooner) :D

You are going to need to plug into the ECM and determine if the computer is at fault or the speedo head. For that TuneECM is your best bet if you don't have access to the Triumph tool. I haven't looked for that function, any of you guys more familiar with TuneECM know if the speedo signal is part of the program?

I would check the road speed sensor, check the manual for location and watch for oil when removing. Start motor first to pump oil to the tank. From memory it is located under the TDU at rear of engine, it works by counting the revolutions of the output shaft by way of a magnet imbedded in the shaft. Check the wires for problems that could cause faulty readings for the start up calibration.

Thanks everyone

Thanks for all your input everyone (even the funny ones, I needed something to laugh at). I had no idea there were no cables, hmmm. I'm living in the 70's. I'll give all suggestions a try.

sticky speedo

Mine sticks as well, even does nothing at times. Read that a low battery can cause this. replaced battery and got some response, but so far not perfect. looking for a affordable solution. Anybody?

Back