Speedometer Failure

PolarisJay13

.020 Over
Anybody just have their speedo quit on them? Today, I was on a ride, and it just quit. One second it was working, and the next it wasn't. My odometer doesn't even change.... that's a plus for me I guess, but I would still like to fix the issue. I think New York State would have some questions when my odometer reading is the same next year as it is this year when I take her in for an inspection. When I turn the key off then on, the needle still cycles full range, but when I move... nothing. Speed sensor maybe??

Dunno dude, every problem I had like that solved with a new ignition switch. Course when my speedo quit, so did the bike. ;)Maybe someone else has had that problem by itself. But if other odd things start to go wrong ....

Ive had the issue for several month. With the ignition on the fuel pump primes but nothing on either the tack nor speedo; no lights and no sweep. Upon cranking the tack sweeps and comes alive but the speedo remains dead...of course it would, it ain't moving. (The engince oil and overheat lamps do illuminate as they should.) Usually I get her heading down the road but still no speedo. However, over the past several month, mysteriously the speedo comes alive on one flight or perhaps on one several restarts to follow. Lately, the past half dozen or so, nadda. It has been this way since the Fall RAAIV. The odometer does appear to function correctly but the trip meters constantly reset which each restart.

I had the same problem about a year ago and the next day I went for a ride and it was working and I have not had the same problem again.
It was something that can't be explained some people think I was just seeing things.
I do still have the problem with my singles some times don't work and I just pull over and restart it and next think my signals work, I don't know why and thats happens a few time.

Check the connentions under the tank. A few weeks ago my bike died on me at work and had to trailer it home. Called the dealer and set up an apointment. We both agreed that the ignition switch was probably bad but hard to believe on a bike with 2k miles. So I raised the tank to look around and touched the connnector that connects the ignition switch to the wiring harness and she came to life. Inspected the connection and found out it was only plugged in half way. Pushed it all the way together until it clicked and everything has been fine since.

Check the connentions under the tank. A few weeks ago my bike died on me at work and had to trailer it home. Called the dealer and set up an apointment. We both agreed that the ignition switch was probably bad but hard to believe on a bike with 2k miles. So I raised the tank to look around and touched the connnector that connects the ignition switch to the wiring harness and she came to life. Inspected the connection and found out it was only plugged in half way. Pushed it all the way together until it clicked and everything has been fine since.
My ignition switch died at 6,000 miles. I think they are all working on borrowed time.

Yeah... my plan is to check some connections when I get a chance. It came to life last night for one small 2 mile trip, but then it died again today. I will keep you guys posted on my progress... I have 15 K miles on her now, and this is really the first issue I have had... I hope it is not the start of a trend... otherwise.. I will have to let her go.

I had the odometer go out on the bike. they replaced the whole gauge with a new one. I lost about 2000 miles on the odometer reading. but this one is working good.

Speedo failure

I had a similar problem where the speedo works some time and others not! I noticed under the seat a port of some kind is this for diagnostics mine is a 2006 can the dealer tell if it is a ignition switch, guage itself or the harness!

Back