I think cops rely on the standard speedo error (not just on this bike, it's in just about every "modern" car I've owned).

When they pull you over and ask, "Do you know how fast you were going" and you're honest and tell them exactly what your speedo said, they'll ticket you based on your answer, even though they know you were barely over the limit.

Just a thought.

That is, more than likely, a fair statement. After all, it isn't about safety, it's about revenue.

All my bikes are off 6-8% on the high side. The Jap bikes and the English/Tiawanese ones.

I think cops rely on the standard speedo error (not just on this bike, it's in just about every "modern" car I've owned).

When they pull you over and ask, "Do you know how fast you were going" and you're honest and tell them exactly what your speedo said, they'll ticket you based on your answer, even though they know you were barely over the limit.

Just a thought.

What's the standard speedo error?

As a general rule, 10 mph over the posted limit via radar, laser or certified calibrated speedometer. Some go by 15 mph on highways. I have never and have never heard of officers writing for more than what the person was measured at, that is very unethical. Some officers won't tell people how fast they clocked them at when giving them a warning as not to "educate" drivers of the threshold.

What's the standard speedo error?

As a general rule, 10 mph over the posted limit via radar, laser or certified calibrated speedometer. Some go by 15 mph on highways. I have never and have never heard of officers writing for more than what the person was measured at, that is very unethical. Some officers won't tell people how fast they clocked them at when giving them a warning as not to "educate" drivers of the threshold.

Pigger:

That might hold true in an 'on the highway situation', but I've seen first hand, citations issued for 3 over the limit.

I strongly suspect that is why motorcycle manufacturers deliberately show the speed as greater than it actually is. Like Joe Walsh said......'The smoker you are, the player you think"

Last edited:
Flip I am saying as a general rule. I have seen 1 mph over written.:)

I'm just giving you a hard time. I understand perfectly what goes on, on your side too. I deal with OSHP and MHP officers and local enforcement all the time. Probably has saved my bacon more than once.

I know of a lot of guys who drive by their GPS. I prefer the speedometer. I'll take the error as a cushion.

When we get on those posts about how fast it goes or whatever, I always correct my posts at 7%.

I'll just follow Gunshots to ES. That way, if he becomes a perp, I'll just play dumb.

But is it a cushion?

If your speedo says you're doing 70 in a 60 and you're actually doing 62, the officer knows that it was your intent to go 70 because that's what your speddo reads. Do they ticket you on clocked speed or your intent to break the law?

Last edited:
the trick is not to tell him just what that speedo is reading. if he says he is writing you up for 5 over don't correct him and say HEY i was at least doing 90! not a good idea.

Back