Speedo needle dead, P1500 error code, odometer works fine

ChrisACT

Supercharged
Ride
2006 Rocket III Special Edition
Hi there,

My 2006 Rocket standard (SE) is having speedo issues.

Symptoms:
  • Speedo test at start up doesn't work
  • Speedo doesn't work when moving
  • Tacho works fine
  • Odometer works fine
  • Trip meters reset every time I stop the engine
  • All other indicators on the instrument cluster are working
  • Bike runs and performs fine
  • TuneECU error code is P1500 which indicates a speed sensor circuit issue
I've check all the connectors between the speed sensor, ECU and instrument cluster.
I've check all my fuses.

If I clear the error code, it comes back straight away. So that makes me think it's a speed sensor.
But as the odometer is working fine, that means the speed sensor is working and makes me think the speedo stepper motor is stuffed.

So I guess my question is, if the stepper motor in the speedo fails, does that trigger a P1500 error code?

Any other ideas on what it could be or what I should check?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
The wire corroded in the harness has been identified before on here maybe idk remembers where. I think R-111-Turbo found 1 bad wire that breaks if I remember correctly

The Red/Orange wire which goes from the ECU to the speedo via that multi pin plug behind the headstock is fine . I checked the continuity on that one.

The odometer works and counts my mileage accurately so the speed sensor appears to be working. Is there a scenario where it could be the problem but the odometer still keeps counting the mileage?

I'm still leaning towards it being a stuffed speedo motor.

I have a touring but i have had that when i had a bad speed sensor, also my turn signals would not self cancel, changed speed sensor and speedo came back as well as signals went back to cancelling, the grounds go into the wire harness and join orher grounds in that line and i think thats why we chase so much. Once a ground burns as in sensor it seems other things act up.

this is an example, i dont know how to exactly tell you how to verify it, someone may see your thread and give you step by step but you should be able to find test for our speed sensor, i look more, search decosse and speed sensor stuff like that.

Back