i can see that on a motor that gets tore down after every pass or one that's over 1000 hp
or may be a blown motor until u get it dialed in.

i can see that on a motor that gets tore down after every pass or one that's over 1000 hp
But you learned something today that you never heard of and at your age and as smart as you are, id say that young fella is smart and im gonna get one ready to post correctly if i can cut the dang thing correctly

i think u could take a die grinder and just cut off the lip that holds the ceramic part and take it out.

i always listen and learn new things
even my wife comes up with good ideas like why don't u go for a ride.

Decided to read plugs after a few hundred miles with new tune and O2 manipulator. What a pain in the ass. You will need a 12 pack and set aside a weekend day to complete.
You need to remove fuel tank, coils, evap can, anti lock brake module will have to be moved out of way. Also remove intake runners to gain access to fuel rail disconnect to avoid damage, it is behind master switch so you can't easily disconnect. You can reinstall intake runners, while tank is off because reconnecting fuel line is a snap.
Tools required, 14 mm spark plug socket,
20210418_145828.jpg
20210418_145705.jpg
20210418_145652.jpg
10 mm socket, 3, 5 mm hex sockets, sharp hose pic to aid in rubber intake manifold reinstall.
My rear tank fixing was already corroded so I will replace it.
Wow. I knew the was a good reason I don't wrench other than oil changes.

Takes a little while for plug to color, this would be good to start a base line, but if racing, need quick results, and if reading to do any good, need to be shut down under full throttle and no idling back to pits. Looking for color, blisters, erosion of electrode & grd., etc.. Once get dialed in read for your own satisfaction. If your seriously racing, imagine you would look at plugs weekly anyway. The way our bikes are set up (tank, coils, etc.) wouldn't have time to make second round.

But you learned something today that you never heard of and at your age and as smart as you are, id say that young fella is smart and im gonna get one ready to post correctly if i can cut the dang thing correctly
Good video, never seen or heard of reading plugs this way. take that back, Kevin told me about this day or two ago, I never put it together. Some years ago some of the plug manufactuers sold a hand held magnifier/light plug reader, was very good for a low price, someone probably still sells them, only for a lot more money. Still would be a good investment.

Last edited:
I gave up reading plugs when I gave up two stroke racing in the early 90's.

Regardless, if you use a wide band O2 sensor/meter you will get a real time understanding of your current AFR throughout the whole range of throttle positions and engine load.

Not everyone will agree but reading plugs for a road bike can be hit and miss.

Back