Something Failed, let’s find it! Transmission Analysis.

Well I picked these up today...

Before sending out, they are 56 big end 52 small end, smaller nearer engine.

They’re now 58 big end 55.5 small end.

More importantly they’re smoother with no machine work stepping internally anymore with a better finish top to bottom.

New blades are a flawless fit, I’ll definitely need to adjust them to let some air past so it will idle.

The JB weld worked perfectly, can’t feel any change with finger tips between the epoxy and the metal.

There’s just a few small things that could be done to make them even better but I’m going to hold off for now.

$375 shipping included from Maxxbore. You’ll alwmso want to send in the engine rubber to have them worked to match the new 55.5mm diameter.

1EDD5A85-6DA2-41B7-91E6-6DE8E46DE0CC.jpeg A3AC0686-6A3B-47BF-891C-CAF54537F7CA.jpeg 04088760-2BBB-407C-9EF3-938B00891D84.jpeg 754835D4-DC4A-436C-ABE0-C22818F27DA6.jpeg 091DB698-9F2B-4926-992C-43DA01EF7702.jpeg

What way did you fix the blades back again onto the shafts ,preventing dropping the tiny bolts out of the blades?

Last edited:
The small screws get torqued in and then flared on the backside to prevent backing out. Maxxbore actually does all the assembly for you. He gets them very close to balanced before sending them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The small screws get tprqued in and then flared on the backside to prevent backing out. Maxxbore actually does all the assembly for you. He gets them very close to balanced before sending them out.

Ok,Tnx !:)

My top crank mark is dead on, bottom not so much, interesting to know. TDC set using a dial indicator down the plug hole, with 0.0001 of an inch.
D3C7C210-1FD8-478D-A342-1976F863A6DD.jpeg
F8F81935-745C-4C14-9482-5E4702DEA572.jpeg
5CEA0522-02BA-4CD0-A1FD-65A4A6FDC6F3.jpeg

I am also just dialing in the cams.(not stock ones) As you did notice , the stock Triumph crank/bottom marking is not accurate enough ?
Second, now you let us know stock marking is not accurate, I have to look for an accurate (.) TDC tool. Which brand TDC tool would you advice me for the Rlll ?

Last edited:
Regarding the setting of lobe centers and considering possible assembly tolerance compounding,
I would never trust any OEM markings.
A dial indicator for use to find TDC and start of valve lift used with a good quality degree wheel is best IMHO.

As bull says. Use a dial indicator down the spark plug hole to locate precise TDC. Once found, adjust the degree wheel to be zero at actual TDC.

Then dial in cams.

Your crank marks may be accurate, or may not, which is really the problem.

Last edited:
As bull says. Use a dial indicator down the spark plug hole to locate precise TDC. Once found, adjust the degree wheel to be zero at actual TDC.

Then dial in cams.

Your crank marks may be accurate, or may not, which is really the problem.

Yep, I am aware of that but as there are a lot of dial indicators I need a reliable one and which one fits the Rlll plughole/lenght.

Yep, I am aware of that but as there are a lot of dial indicators I need a reliable one and which one fits the Rlll plughole/lenght.
There are none that will work without an extension. Ebay has extension kits available, for about $15.

I wouldnt spend a lot on an indicator your gonna use every once in a while. Im a machinist and a $15 dollar travel dial works great for what you are doing When precision is needed (like checking for runout on a shaft for example), then spend on a good indicator. Your just making sure the piston is at its highest point of travel .

Well said, I bought a fairly cheap (as far as dial indicators go) on for like $60 + extensions and a tip set + magnetic base.

Thought I would post a follow up after having the bike on the road for a while.

- Trans is still absolute butter smooth.
- I do still use the quickshifter, but only over 5k RPM now and far less frequently, instead of pretty much constantly.
- I still stand by my diagnosis of 5 to 4 downshifts being the primary culprit, not the GP pattern, and not the QS. If it were GP pattern the upshift side of the items would have shown excessive wear (they didn't) and if it were the QS the dogs would've been beaten and rounded (they weren't).
- Boring TBs... don't, just don't. If you absolutely must, PM me for reasons why not and how to make it work, but otherwise... just don't.

Last edited:
Back