So, PCV autotune

hoopla

Mained to ride!
Ride
2022 Rocket 3 GT
I recently saw a thread, where the man in the tin shed was taking data from a PC3, after a cam install, then sending data back to guy with the new cam to make adjustments to either the PC3 a/f map or directly to the bikes ecu, I'm not sure which.

Anyways, I'm installing Paul's header, a new tune based upon what Clavinger reccommended.
I have PCV with auto tune and will run the bike. I'll get corrections depending upon what the difference is between the ecu and what I have asked for with the PCV.

Using an Android, I believe I can send the corrections to the PCV or my ecu, is this correct?

I've had a conversation with Rob's dyno in Gardner, Mass, who is a great fellow to talk to. I was going to bring the Rocket down to him, but he said that I would be wasting my time and money, because with the autotune I would get a similar result as he would. He said only if I was drag racing or other would he reccommend a dyno tune. Anyways, he said he would take the map from the PCV and tell me what changes to make. The only map that I know of in the PCV, is the correction map made with the autotune. Is there any other map other than my target a/f map? I believe this is what Nels was doing with the cam fellow.

I'm looking for some clarification on what he wants and what I'll do with the info once I get it.

Alternately, Rob suggested to accept the autotune changes, narrow down the acceptance perameters, and accept again, much like Clavinger has spoken of in his notes.

thanks

Hoopla

OK. AT corrects to base values you set in the PCV. Fine. I get the feeling you understand a fair bit.

Option one is try and correlate 100% the trim values across into TuneECU which from personal experience meant manually: and fine tune with AT

or

Option 2 is leave the TuneECU side pretty much as is and use the PCV and AT. In which case, yes! - accept trims a couple of times. Once after 1000 miles or so and again (if you see much movement) after another 1000. Thereafter let the AT do its job. Be cautious if the trims are BIG - as sometimes the values are phantom and statistically not sound sample based. Be prepared to read between the lines and adjust a cell or two.

(Option 3 is to go hibrid and use both sets of maps). You can get a headache from this one.

Here we can delve deeper is so far that the PCV can be targeted with fueling granularity WAY finer than TuneECU and also differently in each gear: this will matter more, or less, depending on how you ride.

Q: do you have much variance in altitude in your rides?. If so do not slim down acceptance variable too much.

Note - there is always some stuff to alter in TuneECU - but I use it to set parameters that only it does. 2nd butterflies, f/l switch etc.
Fuelling I do with PCV and use manifold pressure based auto-tuning.

Q: What are you aiming for? - acceleration, wheelies, smoothness, economy??
Q: Do you have (or access to) a POD display/logger for the PCV?

Mad Scientist

Thanks,,My desires are good acceleration and smoothness, low end torque

I don't have a POD, but am not opposed to getting one to aid in the tuning process

thanks

Hoopla

Back