That is really unlucky. It looks like it is only just up to the job. We have to be careful not to over stress the stand mounting.

Did you get it repaired or get a new engine case?

The broken side stands i know of break the aluminium casting on the sump casing not the bolt or stand itself.
I am not arguing with you. My previous reply should have covered all bases.

The engine casing will be a cast aluminium grade, probably ANSI 319, 328 or similar, with a UTS (Ultimate Tensile Strength) of only around 21 ksi (145 MPa). This is why the side stand bracket is bolted to the engine casing in three places; to compensate for the engine casing's lesser strength by 1) spreading the load and 2) imparting some of the bracket's stiffness to the engine casing. The side stand bracket is 25 mm (1") thick, where it bolts to the engine casing and 16 mm (5/8") thick, where the side stand attaches to it. It should be the same material as the side stand, given the size of that lug. 7075 has a UTS of around 83 ksi (572 MPa) - better than Commercial Grade Carbon Steel (60 ksi / 415 MPa). 6061 is only half as strong but still pretty impressive at around 42 ksi (290 MPa).

We have no reason to be concerned about the integrity of the side stand on the new Rockets unless we plan to abuse it in ways that side stands are not intended to be used. With engines acting as stressed members to improve rigidity and decrease weight, many modern bikes have their side stands bolted similarly.

Was not mine, just provided a link to someone that had that issue in reply to [estoma] posting, the final solution can be read on page 10 Damaged crankcase with pictures -- FIXED
Thanks for all the information. That is a textbook brittle fracture. It would have taken a substantial load to snap two ribbed M10 bolt-bosses off simultaneously like that. The truck on which the bike had been loaded must have jolted through a sharp ditch or hit a bump in the road when that happened.

IMG_2648.jpg

Ratchet straps, most commonly used to secure bikes to load beds or trailers, are generally rated from at least 500 lb (225 kg) to as high as 3000 lb (1360 kg) without necessarily seeming out of place. And it is effortless to overcook it with these when tying down a bike, especially giving it that one extra stroke 'just to be safe', nevermind when the bike is tied down on its side/jiffy stand as well.

The new Rocket weighs around 880 lb (400 kg) wet. Add a heavy rider and passenger (400 lb / 180 kg), and we have 1280 lb (580 kg) total. The new Rocket leans over 8 degrees on its side stand (my Harley does 16 degrees, twice that, on its jiffy stand). At 8 degrees, roughly 15% of the bike's weight will bear on the side stand. Let's say it leans over a bit more with both rider and passenger on the bike while it is on its side stand - improbable but not impossible. So, 10 degrees translates to close to, say, 18%. Imagine the Designer using a safety factor of 5.

1280 lb x 0.18 x 5 = 1152 lbs (525 kg) might, therefore, well be what Triumph designed the side stand to sustain—more than reasonable. So it will conceivably survive pivoting the bike on its side stand, even though that is NOT recommended.

Now imagine the bike alone on its side stand inclined at 8 degrees. 880 x 0.15 = 132 lb (60 kg). Add four ratchet straps tied down to only half their rating - 250 lb (113 kg) each, 1000 lb (450 kg) total. This is a live load, though, so each of the two wheels and the side stand sees a third each, 333 lb (150 kg). Now apply all of that as a shock load (hitting that bump) by multiplying it by three (minimum).

(132 + 333) x 3 = 1395 ilb (635 kg), clearly exceeding our illustrative design margin.

We cannot demand bikes that are forever lighter, more powerful and faster yet wish them to remain built as strong as locomotives. And dare I say it; idiot-proof.

I am not arguing with you. My previous reply should have covered all bases.

The engine casing will be a cast aluminium grade, probably ANSI 319, 328 or similar, with a UTS (Ultimate Tensile Strength) of only around 21 ksi (145 MPa). This is why the side stand bracket is bolted to the engine casing in three places; to compensate for the engine casing's lesser strength by 1) spreading the load and 2) imparting some of the bracket's stiffness to the engine casing. The side stand bracket is 25 mm (1") thick, where it bolts to the engine casing and 16 mm (5/8") thick, where the side stand attaches to it. It should be the same material as the side stand, given the size of that lug. 7075 has a UTS of around 83 ksi (572 MPa) - better than Commercial Grade Carbon Steel (60 ksi / 415 MPa). 6061 is only half as strong but still pretty impressive at around 42 ksi (290 MPa).

We have no reason to be concerned about the integrity of the side stand on the new Rockets unless we plan to abuse it in ways that side stands are not intended to be used. With engines acting as stressed members to improve rigidity and decrease weight, many modern bikes have their side stands bolted similarly.
Yes, it would have to have be a strong cast and it seems only a small number of castings have broken and then not under normal use but due to some extra load applied to it.
All am saying is it needs to be treated with no abuse, ie. dragging and maybe strapping down too tightly on a trailer.

Back