second gear dog & timing chain

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
well this fall I intend to get the second gear and timing chain upgrade for my 2006 R3 the dealer does not have a set number of hours but at $100 an hour I sure would like to know ahead how long it would take to do that upgrade I already have the parts ..
anybody can chime in with some ideas on how many hours it takes to change the part .I do not want to do it myself because I did the output shaft and that was a mountain to climb this time I think the engine has to be pulled completely out of the frame? so mucho dinero probably

I think the lowest I've heard of is 16 hrs. 20 seems to be the triumph standard. Having done the work, that's a fairly generous number. Albeit an expensive one that should be manufacture covered to begin with ;)

@ozrider recently did his, he managed to negotiate with the dealership.
Basically he removed the engine and took it to them. And the dealer took about 6 hours To do the work, but he did not require the chain guides etc cos he had already done them.

I think the lowest I've heard of is 16 hrs. 20 seems to be the triumph standard. Having done the work, that's a fairly generous number. Albeit an expensive one that should be manufacture covered to begin with ;)

thanks for the info .... either I keep the ride under 3000rpm in second gear or spend $2000 on upgrade. not much of a choice!!

I skipped second for a year and a half before I got to change mine, and it sucked! It is very worth it to have it back :) be careful though, first time I got on it going from from 1-2 in high revs, I'd completely forgotten about the power she has and pulled the front end up! :eek::D Very nice to have it back!

I skipped second for a year and a half before I got to change mine, and it sucked! It is very worth it to have it back :) be careful though, first time I got on it going from from 1-2 in high revs, I'd completely forgotten about the power she has and pulled the front end up! :eek::D Very nice to have it back!

you just pushed me closer to the repair shop:banghead:

well this fall I intend to get the second gear and timing chain upgrade for my 2006 R3 the dealer does not have a set number of hours but at $100 an hour I sure would like to know ahead how long it would take to do that upgrade I already have the parts ..
anybody can chime in with some ideas on how many hours it takes to change the part .I do not want to do it myself because I did the output shaft and that was a mountain to climb this time I think the engine has to be pulled completely out of the frame? so mucho dinero probably

As @Mittzy mentioned, I hit the dealer up to just drop the engine in and they were more than happy,
I followed your thread when you did the output bearing and you were only a few bolts from dropping the whole engine out so it will be a lot easier 2nd time round :thumbsup:

Back