Sacramento vs Salt Lake City

WyldCFH

Drop a Gear and Disappear!
Ride
'20 Ducati Panigale V4 S
Who has the better riding scenery? Go....

I'll be in both of them for a weekend at the end of this month. Planning to rent a motor in one of them, but not sure which is better riding.

Lived in Sacramento for about 4 years (military) Good riding in that area around the foothills. Especially around the backside of Folsom lake.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sacramento… Head up 80 toward Tahoe, take any exit you feel like once you hit the mountains. Or as mentioned around Folsom, or take the roads that head toward Yosemite. Plenty of good options.

Salt Lake I have less experience. Certainly not much compelling to the west, not much to the north. Mountains to the east and south might hold some promise. From the looks of it you'd probably get some great views, but maybe not as many curves.

Canyon Chasers lists some highlights. Here are three routes near SLC:

I don't think you'd be disappointed in either. I'd probably decide based on the weather. It can get really freaking hot around Sacramento. It's better if you head up into the mountains but man, triple digits for much of the ride wouldn't be my preference. Looking at the forecasts over the next 10 days, the highs in SLC are always cooler than Sac, from a couple degrees to 15 degrees lower.

No brainer. I grew up east of Sacramento and every day lament that my beautiful state has turned into nutzoid.

Sacramento is the gateway to some of the most beautiful riding in the country. I ride down every year to visit family and head east into the foothills and the Sierra Nevadas.

Utah, is, well Utah. I've ridden throughout the state and while it has some great riding, is nothing like northern California.

Have to agree with the riding east of Sac is better than SLC. Go towards Lake Tahoe. We purchased our Rocket in Reno and made the Lake Tahoe loop it's inaugural ride. It is a great ride be sure to do it.

I'll be in both of them for a weekend at the end of this month. Planning to rent a motor in one of them, but not sure which is better riding.
One thing you didn’t mention is with just a weekend, how much actual riding time will you have, and what side of town are you staying? If you’re toward central to western Sac, it could take you an hour one way to the foothills (or worse with bad traffic). To come anywhere close to Tahoe and see much while you’re there, you’re talking about a pretty long day. Great if you’ve got the time, just wasn’t sure since presumably you have other things to do on these two weekend trips.

Anthony,
Sacto for sure, but crapola, for living there . . . tis California after all!!! :thumbsdown:
The gold country, Sutter Creek, Jackson, Moke Hill, West Point, Angels Camp . . .
All awesome, 49, Calaveras Co, Kit Carson pass, Skyline Drive, Alices, Alpine Rd, Santa Cruz and very best of all @RKTNMYPKT is close by!
That there is just a start!

Thanks for the input so far gents.

I'll technically be in Roseville, so a bit northeast of Sactown.
I'll be on a rented Hardley model I've never ridden before, on roads I've never been on before and most likely riding alone, curves matter much less than scenery. I'm plan to joy ride from Friday evening, all day Saturday and morning to 1-2p Sunday... If work doesn't interfere. So 6-7 hour round trip on Saturday should be doable

Back