Rocket Year/Model - Advice

It is time to move on from my anemic cruisers, so a Rocket is in order. I have been scouring information on this website for the past two weeks trying to decide the right rocket year and model to buy. Time to ask for insight.

First - upon purchase the bike it is immediately going to Carpenter for a 240 kit. I spoke with Bob at length last week.

My questions are:

Transmissions - Are there years to specifically avoid or rather are there years where the trannys are more robust?

Year models – Bob indicated he did not know if he has a solution for 2013 and newer bikes regarding raising the rev limiter past 8K. Does it matter given the horse power curve decline beyond 8K? I see several threads where early years had a few issues compared to later models- anything substantial to be concerned with?

This will be my “touring” bike, so comfort is most important for me on this platform. Touring for me is long weekends, so less than 1,000 miles. The issue – it is not possible to find a Classic, Roadster, and/or Touring model near Daytona Beach, so I have to drive quite a ways to test ride each model and in different directions (not many for sale here in Florida). Does the touring model with the “narrow” tire appreciate the additional HP? Handling is all relative (compared to my other bikes), so how do the classic, roadster, and touring model compare. My impulse is to just buy the touring model, but I have no way of knowing if the classic or roadster are better for me (I know – go ride each).

Lastly, why would one want the Carpenter classic exhaust rather than the side winder.

Sorry for the numerus questions, but it is never easy when seeking out something unique….

Thanks,

Patrick
BUY an 09 or newer Rocket as they have all the upgrades and DONT get the Touring the other models have the larger better wheels tires and forks that youll want when install the the high HP CARPENTER engine mods you can use either exhaust but ask BOB to supply the newer larger heat shields that Im running on my CARP ROCKET and if you have the money go for the modded gearbox its so smooooth

I bought the classic for these reasons.It has the forward foot pegs like the touring for long rides (which suit me)but has the twin headlight(which i like personally)clocks not on the tank to see easier (living in london need to see clocks easy cos of all the speed cameras) the larger back tyre and horse power. To be honest when i was looking to buy think i would have been happy to just own a rocket with the money i had at the time:inlove:D

Thanks to all for your insight.

ABS is not relevant to me and I prefer not to have it. I would not swap out the speedo.

I already planned on redoing the suspension to suit me (always the first change on every bike I buy).

The transmission feedback is most appreciated. I was being optimistic hoping gear mesh was improved in later years. Few drivetrains support doubling the load. Motor will be out, so now is the time to do it. I will talk to Carpenter the next couple of days.

Sidewinder pipe it is

If you don’t want ABS you need to look for 2009 (or earlier but 2009 the best of the non-Roadsters with all of the earlier problems ironed out - except maybe the headlight/ignition switch).
However, these have forward controls so the sidewinder pipe is probably your worst choice.
Of course you can change the controls but it’s not necessarily without issues - cost and availability being 2. You could also disconnect the ABS on a later model I suppose but I can’t for the life of me see why you’d do that.

I disagree with Art on the Touring but he's a go fast high performance drag bike guy and I'm not. I've had both an 07 Classic Tourer (beefed up) and now an 09 Touring. I rode the 07 all over the country and up into Canada but it has the mid-frame floorboards and was extremely comfortable with my Corbin saddle. I did performance upgrades to it and it was a handful. My son has it now in Maryland. I vividly recall cracking the throttle on that thing and hanging on for dear life. What a magnificent machine it is.

The Touring is the most powerful and most comfortable touring bike I've ever ridden, plus the most beautiful. Triumph detuned it but can be brought up to high performance specs fairly easily. The ergonomics of the Roadster is not right for me. It boils down what you want to do, comfort and your riding style. One thing for sure; you can't miss on any model you buy.

R3 Classic (1408 x 1056).jpg
Touring Roadster.jpg

Answer these 8 questions using number 1, number 2 and number 3 as priority.
Take rides of a week or more -
Ride two up usually -
Enjoy freeway & highway traveling -
Ride to find the best most challenging twusties -
Drag race other bikes -
Want my bike to be dependable -
Power is most important -
Handling is most important -

Back