jhutch6232

Standard Bore
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket X
Went for a group ride with the local RAT pack over the weekend to Head and Back of the Dragon. In the middle of the trip the Rocket decided to stop playing. Coming to a stop light and it just died. Ligthts, tach and all electrical stopped working. Speedometer however was still showing 20 MPH although it was parked. Tried to jump it with a USB jump starter and no indication of any power. Even waited a couple of minutes hoping it would charge a bit and no change.

Local shop can't get it in til next month so hoping someone will have some ideas I can try before taking it in.

What I've tried so far: Put it on tender for 48 hours and no change. Checked battery terminals and ensure everything was tight.

Any suggestions?

Went for a group ride with the local RAT pack over the weekend to Head and Back of the Dragon. In the middle of the trip the Rocket decided to stop playing. Coming to a stop light and it just died. Ligthts, tach and all electrical stopped working. Speedometer however was still showing 20 MPH although it was parked. Tried to jump it with a USB jump starter and no indication of any power. Even waited a couple of minutes hoping it would charge a bit and no change.

Local shop can't get it in til next month so hoping someone will have some ideas I can try before taking it in.

What I've tried so far: Put it on tender for 48 hours and no change. Checked battery terminals and ensure everything was tight.

Any suggestions?

If it were my bike, I would do the following:

1). Formally Test the battery - any auto parts store can do a quick test - Rockets are sensitive to weak batteries
2). Check all the Fuses and if one is blown, identify what circuit the fuse is on and why it may have blown
3). Check all electrical connections under the side panels, into ECU, battery ground, etc - look for anything loose, corroded, frayed etc.
4). Last - check the connections at the ignition switch and test for continuity

And check the main 30 amp fuse.
Sometimes with overheating the fuse terminals can melt the plastic and lock the fuse blade within the fuse box case without the fuse itself burning out.
Then the fuse box terminals can become ineffective and cause intermittent or no power.
@Mittzy quickly diagnosed it on my Roadster a few years ago on an RDU trip.
Apparently heavy riders (like me), and removing the screw on stock plastic air induction 'V' plate under the seat ( often removed when we/they strip out the plenum and air piping to fit K&N or RamAir filters), increases the flex of the seat allowing some to press down and cover/press on fuse box.

Back