Rocket engine shut off while moving

JudgeMontrose

.020 Over
Ride
'07 Speed Triple, '14 Rocket III Roadster
So I was riding my new-to-me 2014 Roadster this morning, and while traveling at about 45 mph, I pulled in the clutch to make a shift. I don't recall how long the clutch was pulled in, but as I shifted and applied throttle, I noticed the bike was quiet and not responding to throttle. The red oil light was on as well. Engine had died.

I pulled the clutch back in, hit the starter, and it fired right back up. I continued on my merry way. BUT, if owning a Speed Triple has taught me anything, it's that weird Triumph gremlins always return to stab you in the back at the worst possible time, like when you're on a 3-day vacation in the mountains.

Oil levels are good and a cursory inspection didn't reveal any obvious frayed wires. The bike only has
3500 miles on it. 600 of those were put on on the last week though, and I have been riding it in the rain. Idle in general seems low -- maybe 800 RPMs-- and I'm thinking that maybe when I pulled the clutch in the bike just failed to maintain idle and died (maybe some bad gas?), but I don't know whether that's a reasonable assumption. Any idea what might be going on?

For that matter, if there is a thread of known gremlins and preemptive fixes I can perform on the 2014 (I thought this year and newer didn't really have any), please point me in that direction. Thanks!

Last edited:
You should have someone check which map you got in the ecu.
Maybe a former owner played around with it.
First you should try the 12min reset.

Probably needs a FULL ISCV RESET since you have a speedy do you have a cable and tune ecu? If so i would copy the tune change the idle settings to say 925 oil pressure is better there anyway. Shuve the tune in and run the ISCV reset once complete reset adaptation cycle ignition and run a 12 minute tune

Nope, no tuning tools (or knowledge -- yet). I can go buy one I guess. So 800 RPM is abnormally low for the R3R?
12 minute reset is just letting it idle for 12 minutes after the fan starts, right?

Hi Judge, I had the same problem with the engine cutting out when approaching junctions or with clutch pulled in for too long. Having changed the pipes and air filter I had loaded a new tune, which unfortunately, was far from suitable at the lower rev range. As Warp 9.9 says, reset everything via Tune Ecu and this should clear up any gremlins. Worked for me!
There are several pages of 'how to' guides on the forum in regards to Tune Ecu plus the bonus of many experienced users here. Any problems, just shout loud enough..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nope, no tuning tools (or knowledge -- yet). I can go buy one I guess. So 800 RPM is abnormally low for the R3R?
12 minute reset is just letting it idle for 12 minutes after the fan starts, right?
No its not abnormal I just made a recomendation on seeing oil pressures. Mostly you need a ISCV reset to insure your idle stepper motor, and primary throttle position sensor in synchronization with the ecu map. Normal maintence yours is most because she is new plus depending on how well the last person did on the ISCV reset? Hope I did not confuse you above. I just figured if you were going to hook to the ecu we would raise the idle target a little.

"Grab your USB cable and computer, hook to the ECU and re-route the primary deflector array through the eps power conduits..."

I miss the days when you just reached between the jugs and tweaked the idle adjustment knob.

"Grab your USB cable and computer, hook to the ECU and re-route the primary deflector array through the eps power conduits..."

I miss the days when you just reached between the jugs and tweaked the idle adjustment knob.
Dude its just a Warp Ripple. It happens when the dilithium crystals are out of alingment. Or in sync. Inorder to move such a mass thru space some basic physics must be altered :D

Been there, done that! After some miles my gremlin went away on my R3T. I agree...a reset and 12 minute tune is a good place to start.

Back