Rocket 3R 2020 + Instrument Cluster - Important findings

imcool

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket 3R 2022
hi,
I studied Instrument dash electronics circuitry from Triumph subscription website about and below are my findings about Instrument and Turn signals
Hope this helps someone :

A
Turn signals are getting both power and turn signal function directly and only from Instrument cluster output port.
B Turn signals are not using any External old school relay system to blink. The blink function is solely and directly provided by computer inside Instrument/dash cluster computer.
C Turn signals on our Rocket 2020 + are not fused at all, Turn signals are getting power directly from the cluster, and cluster is getting power from battery in a 12V system. There is a fuse between instrument cluster and battery which is way too high of value but no fuse between instrument and blinker.
D Instrument/dash cluster computer can not be disassembled after removing from the motorbike, it is ultrasonic welded and only way to open is to cut the ultrasonic weld joint with Dremel. see youtube videos on 'how to open apple macbook charger' exact same weld.
E Instrument/dash cluster computer has a moisture/humidity port on the back of it. That moisture plug is either made in Germany or USA ( i forgot).

Since there is no fuse between TURN SIGNALS AND INSTRUMENT COMPUTER, if any of the Turn signals decides to short out by breaking/wear/water leak etc then the circuit inside instrument cluster responsible for blinking fucntion will burn immediately and then you must BUY a new cluster.
I put fuses on my Rocket for Turn signals circuit under the seat.
I am not saying I am smarter than Triumph engineers but I have no idea why they didn't put fuse as there is no relay involved.

ROCKET ELECTRONICS MEASUREMENTS

Last edited:
My understanding is that the computer monitors voltage irregularities. If there's a short, it cuts power to the signal (and gives an error on the dash). It's a digital circuit breaker instead of a fuse. You can reference all the trouble Triumph had dialing in their scrolling signals to see it at work in practice.

You can wire an entire bike without the need for fuses nowadays. Take a look at Motogadget's m.unit.

My understanding is that the computer monitors voltage irregularities. If there's a short, it cuts power to the signal (and gives an error on the dash). It's a digital circuit breaker instead of a fuse. You can reference all the trouble Triumph had dialing in their scrolling signals to see it at work in practice.

You can wire an entire bike without the need for fuses nowadays. Take a look at Motogadget's m.unit.
there is no fuse or such system in the dash cluster which can stop the circuit from burning.
"' If there's a short, it cuts power to the signal (and gives an error on the dash). It's a digital circuit breaker instead of a fuse. "' sorry to break it to you but this is not the case, I personally someone who burnt his dash blinker circuit while installing some kind of blinkers and I had to help him out with the saga. He had to get new dash from triumph.

m6LKGdf.png

Last edited:
Back