Rocket 3 2010, Showing no fuel / 0km to empty.

AceSLive12

.020 Over
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Hey Guys!

My 2010 Rocket 3, 18,000km on the clock has just started to show 0km til empty / no fuel

The low fuel light, however, is not on and the tank is indeed full.

The bike showed the regular gauge and remaining KM this morning. I fuelled up when it said it had around 100km to go and then I went to work.

I don't know if this issue happened when I re-started my bike at the fuel shop, or if it happened when I re-started at work, but that's when it was noticed.

I've checked all the connections I can get to, including lifting the tank and taking off the side covers, and I've disconnected and reconnected the battery, but to no avail.

I've also reset the trip km as another post suggested when I searched, but again, nothing.

Is there anything anyone can recommend or suggest?

Thanks!

Lee

Open your petrol cap and have a look inside the tank with a torch, make sure the float on the sender arm is floating on top of the petrol, if its not and has sunk this may be your problem. Just a thought.

You might check voltage from the sender, assuming the float is up at the top of the tank.

A pinhole (in a plastic or metal float) can fill them with fuel causing them to sink.

For those who are not from Australia, a "torch" indicates a flashlight.

Not a blowtorch.

:D

Also, doubtful if it's the float in this case, since if it were then the low fuel light would also be lit, surely?

Thanks for the ideas guys!
After about 15 min of riding it corrected itself.. Really odd.
Perhaps I overfilled it and the sensor went above 'max' and didn't know what to display? I dunno..

In either case, solved! And thanks!

Find mine occasionally takes quite a while to work out how much fuel it has. Seems to vary as other times it has updated before I'm out of the petrol station.

Check the connections of the main 30a fuse UNDER the fuse itself. Mine would do exactly what you indicated. The connection comes and goes and will "reset" the ECU. That's why it will go back to zero. What happens is the terminals that make contact with the fuse is pushing out the bottom of the fuse holder. I tried different methods to correct this but they always started backing out again. I fixed the problem by removing the wires from the fuse box... installed a inline fuse holder... installed the 30a fuse and never had the problem again. If your 2010 Roadster had the recall relay work done like mine then I bet that is where the location of the problem. The tech removes the fuse box and installs wires going to a relay. They must have to yank and pull on the fuse box in order to get to the connections they need. I started having the problem after the dealer did the recall work and after examining my fuse box the clown must have loosened up my connections.
And this might not be your problem and I typed all this for nothing.......:(

Back