Roadside Assistance Experience...?

COMick

.040 Over
I went for a ride with my brothers the other day, and one of them ended up getting a flat tire. He needed to get a tow and a new tire. I have been stranded on my R3T once and had to get a tow.

My Bike insurance covers a small towing distance, but I am looking for something that will cover a longer tow if needed.

I see there are lots of groups/clubs that offer roadside assistance (AAA, AMA.....). I wanted to see if any of the captains out there have any experience good/bad with any of these, so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks for your input :)

AMA for me too. Fortunately so far I haven't needed them. The one time it's been towed it was loaded onto a flatbed and the other guy's insurance covered it..

AMA here also. Had to use it once and it worked just fine.

Had AAA for awhile. You need their RV coverage if you want to cover bikes. They will offer a great rate initially, but their renewal price is way too much. I still get Welcome Back letters two years after dropping them.

AMA here also. Had to use it once and it worked just fine.

Had AAA for awhile. You need their RV coverage if you want to cover bikes. They will offer a great rate initially, but their renewal price is way too much. I still get Welcome Back letters two years after dropping them.

In past I used AAA,with the RV coverage you got towed 100 miles for free. Like GPM said you used to ahve to have RV coverage, they now offer jsut motorcycle coverage but do not know how it compares to AMA coverage for cost/service.

AMA for me..check out the AAA fee!!!!

PLUS RV Membership

Sign up for AAA PLUS RV for all of the coverage of AAA PLUS for the following eligible vehicles: factory RVs, motor homes and pickups with campers; motorcycles; eligible vehicles towing the following eligible trailers: boat, travel, horse, motorcycle, snowmobile, personal watercraft, golf, car or utility; and select small rental trailers.
Only $125 a year.

Only $125 a year?!? Holy Hat Batman, that's a stack of cash! I suppose it's worth it if you get towed frequently, but I can't remember the last time I was on the wrong end of a tow hook. I keep roadside as an option on the insurance as a "just in case" for $6 a year, but it's mostly for the wife so she wouldn't have to change a flat on the highway or something like that. The bike roadside does give me some peace of mind while on trips away from home and states ... "Nearest Servicing Dealer". It probably wouldn't read that way if they knew how few and far between Triumph dealers are. LOL Just like everything else though, I'm sure they would come up with some weasel way out of 150 miles should it break down between dealers. But for $6, what the hell ... with the R3's funky fuel gauge I might have a brain fart one day and need a gallon of gas.;)

I have AMA and my beastly R3T has insisted on using roadside assistance 5 times already (twice in the last week!). That means my bike has been on a flatbead more often than my wife has been on my R3T. No comments, please...:eek:

Speaking of flatbeds, that's what AMA will send you...never a motorcycle-specific tow truck. If you're not experienced with loading and unloading a heavy Rocket onto an oil-slicked flatbed -- in the rain --in the dark--be prepared for an experiece.

On the upside, we are allowed 5 courtesy tows of 35 miles each. Not too shabby for $35 a year.

There is a slight glitch, in that there is only one tow allowed in any 72-hour period (but that can be waived).

AMA is fine for what it is. It's saved me a bundle of $$, as well as a lot of worry on these long rides.

AMA worked great for me when I got a flat just a few weeks ago. Fast - even on a Sunday! I also have roadside assistance with my insurance carrier (Progressive on my cars and GEICO on the Rocket).

Back