we have to be careful of putting it on the site because anyone on the web can start making calls to us. Is there a sercure way to do this?

we have to be careful of putting it on the site because anyone on the web can start making calls to us. Is there a sercure way to do this?

Very good point. This site is searchable and there's no telling what kind of search might bring up those posts.

That's why I suggested getting in touch with Shawn to see if there are any options. Not to mention that in a month this thread will be so far down list that nobody will be able to find it.

Everyone, I've created and opened up a new forum for Road Trip Assistance. It is a private forum, viewable by only registered members. Posts in this forum aren't included in search indexes or in any kind of search. It also won't be pinged to the blogosphere, or appear on external search engines like google. Check out the main forum page to see it.

I'm concerned about the possibility of deceptive posts going here, let me know if my warning message is too much. I've thought about other ways to manage access to the forum (say if a member has made 25 forum posts) but I'm still thinking about it.

Regarding a source of information for willing members to share their contact information, or a separate troubleshooting section. They are both great ideas, but I need to see some more "amens" before I make that happen as well. The challenge with applications like this is that they are seldom useful if there are few contributions. In other words, a directory of willing member contacts isn't much help if there are only twenty names. Same goes for troubleshooting, we wouldn't look like helpful folks if there were only a few articles submitted. The system would be easy to use, and work within the existing framework of this site; like the classifieds and photo albums do.

Hope this helps,

Is another option for there to be a way of searching for members by location? This would have to be opt-in but I'd be happy for fellow members to just do a search by postcode, city, region or state and find me. They'd know if they "knew" me well enough to want to call me at midnight.

Just posted on the "ROADSIDE ASISTANCE"side, please go and check it out and tell me what you think:)

Everyone, I've created and opened up a new forum for Road Trip Assistance. It is a private forum, viewable by only registered members. Posts in this forum aren't included in search indexes or in any kind of search. It also won't be pinged to the blogosphere, or appear on external search engines like google. Check out the main forum page to see it.

I'm concerned about the possibility of deceptive posts going here, let me know if my warning message is too much. I've thought about other ways to manage access to the forum (say if a member has made 25 forum posts) but I'm still thinking about it.

Regarding a source of information for willing members to share their contact information, or a separate troubleshooting section. They are both great ideas, but I need to see some more "amens" before I make that happen as well. The challenge with applications like this is that they are seldom useful if there are few contributions. In other words, a directory of willing member contacts isn't much help if there are only twenty names. Same goes for troubleshooting, we wouldn't look like helpful folks if there were only a few articles submitted. The system would be easy to use, and work within the existing framework of this site; like the classifieds and photo albums do.

Hope this helps,
Looks good to me Shawn, :cool:

Is another option for there to be a way of searching for members by location? This would have to be opt-in but I'd be happy for fellow members to just do a search by postcode, city, region or state and find me. They'd know if they "knew" me well enough to want to call me at midnight.

On this site, I've opted to support member's input their location information but it isn't searchable. Input is optional, based on a practice established from my old site - TriumphRat.Net.

On my new Triumph Site, TriumphMotorcycleForums.Com, I've migrated the core to a new platform and am toying with a feature that does support location mapping. It will display where a user is.

Back