Ugarte

Turbocharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III
In the million plus miles I have driven cars, and 200k plus miles on motorcyles I have seen these remnants of exploded truck tires on the road. No big deal, you just drive around them and go on your way. Well driving through Vegas last Tuesday, a tire on the pickup truck in front and to the left of us exploded and threw tire debris at least 10ft in the air. We had no choice but to barrel right threw the mess, one large chunk hit the windshield and another the front bumper. Fortunately no damage but scary nonetheless. I would hate to have been on a motorcycle, that could have been a disaster. What a sobering sight.

Now every time I pass a semi on a motorcycle I am going to be thinking about this. If one of those eighteen wheels blows and you are adjacent to, or closely behind it, it is going to be one helluva wild ride.

Many a year ago I was on a ride to California when a semi threw off a retread. A piece about 4 foot long went sailing past my head. Scared the shiite out of me. I stay away from semi's now and when I pass them I do it with authority to limit my time near them. Especially if they are making that warbling sound which is a tire on it's way out.

It can be dangerous. I always try to get past trucks as quickly as possible. The following is a summary from a MythBusters show, and can be found at http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/06/episode_80_big_rig_myths.html

Exploding Tire of Death
Myth: A tire blowout from a big rig can decapitate a person in an adjacent vehicle

Setup
They couldn't find anyone to let them do a tire blowout on top of their dynamometer, so they decided to build one of their own out in a field. They chopped the bed off of a pickup truck and sunk it into the ground. The big rig was lifted so that it's rear tires were on top of the pickup truck's tires. This allowed them to spin the wheels of the big rig by accelerating the pickup truck, while a forklift allowed them to control how much weight the big rig placed on the pickup.

Buster was setup on a motorcycle adjacent to the tire.

Big rig tests
  • Shotgun test: They used a .12 gauge shotgun with a deer slug to blow out the big rig tire. Jamie hit the tire, but they didn't get the catastrophic tire failure that they wanted -- all they got was a "hisssss."
  • Flexing test: They tried to use a combination of high heat and low pressure to get the tire to blowout. "Flexing" is responsible for most big rig highway blowouts: the low pressure and high heat make the rubber wobble. They inflated the tire to 30psi (1/4 normal pressure) and heated the tire. They were able to easily get the tire to 150 degrees, but they couldn't reach the 350 degrees failure zone. To get the tire to burst, they hooked it up to a pump and tried to suddenly over-pressurize it. The over-pressurization gave Buster a gust of wind as a hole ripped opened up in the sidewall, but not much more.
  • Shrapnel test: They weren't going to get the catastrophic failure they wanted, so they decided to spin up the already popped tire up to speed to see what would happen. Rubber shrapnel and smoke came flying off in every direction, except the direction of Buster. They did get valuable data, though, on the rubber shrapnel.
Rubber chucker test
They had trouble controlling where the rubber flew in their tests, so they decided to build their own rubber chucker to fling the chunks of rubber at Buster's head. They had video of the flying debris from the previous test, so they could tune the size and speed of the chunks to be accurate.

The rubber chucker was actually very similar to their previous test rig. They placed the pickup truck on top of a trailer, wheel to wheel. Much like a pitching machine in a batting cage or on a tennis court, the spinning wheels grab anything placed between them and fling them at the target. In a test fling, they easily shot a piece of rubber at 40mph through a wooden board.

They replaced buster with a ballistics gel head that they cast around a spine. The head was stuck behind a car door window in the path of the rubber chucker. In the first shot the ballistics gel head was decapitated -- the spine they stuck inside was sticking out.

confirmed

I was coming home from New York and just hit a retread with my Chevy Caprice that i couldn't avoid in the road . It ripped off my speedo cable put a good size dent in the rear floor of the back seat and threw my front end out of wack. I can just imagine what it would do if hit by a bike..

I do everything possible to minimize my time on the superslabs around here, because that's where the majority of semi traffic is. when I do encounter those big rigs out on the open road, I approach them carefully to within 50-100' making sure that they see me or have me in their line of sight in their rearview mirror(s). Then I downshift into fourth and blast by them in a blink. In fact, by the time they check there mirrors again, I'm usually well in front of them and that is one reason why I'm happy to be packing upwards of 200 RWHP.;)

About 15 years ago when I was stationed in south Texas a group of friends were riding back from San Antonio on a 2 lane. They were stacked 2x2. A dully headed the other direction had a rear tire/wheel come of the lugs. Front left guy dodged it, rear left took it to the chest. DOA :(
I know it's not a retread coming off on a highway, but the impact (albeit including a steel wheel) was similar to what I'd expect from a truck loosing a tread in front of you.
They did nothing wrong. This event helped confirm for me that when its your time it's your time :(

Have been around the big rigs for 40 plus yrs and driven them for a better part of that time. Its always a good practice to do what TriumPhil does don't waste your time getting around them whether in your car or on your bike. To many blind spots and anymore there not even looking for motorcycles. Al

Yeah, trucks need to be kept at a distance at all times and passed as quickly as possible when one has to.

These things are kept on the road as close to 24/7 as possible and you never know how close to failure a truck tire or a truck anything is. Not to mention how unknown it is how close the driver is to failure, as they're kept on the road as close to 24/7 as possible too...

was behind a rig in my truck. the tire blew out and tore off a light that had a steel ring around it 6 " around and 4 " wide along with the retread. it was one of those pucker moments that i could have done with out.
i had forgotten about that guess i will change my driving.
thanks for the thread.

Back