One of the things that Yorkshiremen and Scotsmen like to point out : is how many of them were amongst the great explorers.

And this is true.

They of course will say that it down to their tenacious, tough spirit. The truth is, however, anywhere else was better.

Wales - a word of caution. The police in North Wales are by reputation VERY anti bike. I have mates living on the border and they simply will not even try to ride there on Sunday. With your US bike - you might be less prone to being hassled though. Also - there is a really good reason why that part of the UK is green.
The police are hot in Wales but they are more concerned with the influx of power rangers flying around blind bends and killing themselves on roads they don’t know than they are with genuine bikers who want to ride and enjoy the scenery. They are not anti bike, they just dont want the roads being treated like a racetrack. I know this as I’m a native. The bike scene is fantastic in Wales - co
The ferry from Dublin (actually Dun laoghaire- pron "Dun leery") also goes to South West Wales, Milford Haven docks I think. Spectacular scenery round there, coast roads etc. with good motorway and A road links to the rest of Britain. Mid Wales can be a little isolated with narrow roads if you go off piste a bit! I live in the Cotswolds-just! Beautiful cotswold stone villages, close to Stratford on Avon, Warwick etc.
Give me a shout if you come over.

The ferry goes from Fishguard to Dublin or to Rosslare which is the way we go every year. Also to and from Holyhead, Anglesey.

I mentioned in another thread that touring the UK on a MC has long been a high priority bucket list item for me. This could be the year for it, or next. Father Time continues ticking on for me so there is somewhat a sense of urgency about it.

My wife and I recently watched a BBC travel show in which the hostess takes the viewer through English villages and the surrounding ccountryside. Yorkshire is the subject of this particular episode, emphasizing the history and beauty of the area. I am hoping that some of our members can provide some recommendations.

I am considering shipping my bike to Dublin and ferrying yo UK, assuming there is a ferry. Would there be one out of Dublin?
Hello America. If I were to land my R3t in Dublin I would make time to ride the 'Ring of Kerry' and the 'Ring of Bera' then head on down to Rosslare for a ferry to Fishguard (Wales) for some excellent biker friendly roads on your way into England to continue the adventure. "But that's just me!" Come on over, us natives are friendly.

The police are hot in Wales but they are more concerned with the influx of power rangers flying around blind bends and killing themselves on roads they don’t know than they are with genuine bikers who want to ride and enjoy the scenery.
And I guess to try and catch my mate Adam who lives in Oswestry. He is feckin fast on and off the track.

Hello America. If I were to land my R3t in Dublin I would make time to ride the 'Ring of Kerry' and the 'Ring of Bera' then head on down to Rosslare for a ferry to Fishguard (Wales) for some excellent biker friendly roads on your way into England to continue the adventure. "But that's just me!" Come on over, us natives are friendly.

How much do Kerry and Bera cost and do they do 2 for 1 deals:whitstling::whitstling:;)

I found the Brits and the Irish to be very friendly towards we "Mericans" during my visits over the years so have no concern over that. I met the below gents in the northern Yukon Territory outside of Dawson City and we had a merry time sloshing a few brews that evening at the motel. They were with the Nick Sanders tour group that had shipped their bikes in a container to Miami, FL and then headed across country. The departed the next day to cross the Yukon River to the Top of the World Highway into Alaska and then up the Dalton haul road north to the Circle. In the pic of the three, I'm in the center with a gent from Northern Ireland on the left and a true Welshman on the right. I couldn't figure out his accent so finally asked him. I was thinking Dutch and others because I'd never heard a Welsh accent. I believe the gent in the second pic was from Essex but it was four years ago. That gent had one cool MC jacket.

265 (1632 x 1224).jpg
D 058 (929 x 697).jpg

Rocker 2.jpg

Which reminds me, I don't think I've ever posted pics of my Arctic Circle ride. I'll reduce some pic sizes and post a few in the appropriate forum. We took the Dempster out of Dawson City to the Arctic Circle, a much more beautiful route than the Dalton.

Back