Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I mentioned in another thread that touring the UK on a MC has long been a high priority bucket list item for me. This could be the year for it, or next. Father Time continues ticking on for me so there is somewhat a sense of urgency about it.

My wife and I recently watched a BBC travel show in which the hostess takes the viewer through English villages and the surrounding ccountryside. Yorkshire is the subject of this particular episode, emphasizing the history and beauty of the area. I am hoping that some of our members can provide some recommendations.

I am considering shipping my bike to Dublin and ferrying yo UK, assuming there is a ferry. Would there be one out of Dublin?

A few years ago my wife and I flew to Ireland.

We rented a bike and all the riding gear needed from Phillip McCallen in Lisburn Triumph Motorcycles - Phillip McCallen Motorcycles
The picture by my name was taken in North Ireland. We had a great time.

If you have any troubles while you are there, I recommend them highly.

Later,
Jerry C

Mike - the only thing I would say is - There is a lot of traffic on UK roads.

Whatever time you think you'll need to get from a->b - double it.
UK lads are used to it - but it catches me out these days every so often.

Also be aware that the UK has f*cking cameras every-bleedin'-where.

But once you are off the main highways - the UK has some of the most varied and spectacular landscapes all packed into one little area.

I've read about the traffic with London being a nightmare the last time I was there in about '95, hence my considering Dublin as a point of entry. I read a report awhile back that UK is the most heavily surveiled nation in the world. It is my intention to stay as much as possible on secondary roads, so I have much planning to do.

Jerry, thanks for the bike rental information. That might be the way to go. I also found a place SW of London that pics the renter up at the airport and provides transport for the return flight.

I've read about the traffic with London being a nightmare the last time I was there in about '95, hence my considering Dublin as a point of entry.
The area around Manchester/Liverpool is - ime - worse than London. Esp Heavy Goods. Be aware of areas with Variable Speed Limits too.

I mentioned in another thread that touring the UK on a MC has long been a high priority bucket list item for me. This could be the year for it, or next. Father Time continues ticking on for me so there is somewhat a sense of urgency about it.

My wife and I recently watched a BBC travel show in which the hostess takes the viewer through English villages and the surrounding ccountryside. Yorkshire is the subject of this particular episode, emphasizing the history and beauty of the area. I am hoping that some of our members can provide some recommendations.

I am considering shipping my bike to Dublin and ferrying yo UK, assuming there is a ferry. Would there be one out of Dublin?

Just a word...the roads in Ireland once you are out of the city are awful...bumpy , pot holes etc. it’s bad enough in a car.
Yorkshire, in fact the north of England has some great roads and far less traffic than the south. Over in the N.West you have the ‘ Lake District ‘ with some beautiful runs ( A fantastic nostalgic hotel is Storrs Hall in the Lake District...like a living time machine). You can then head up to Scotland and I’ll let another here make recommendations but you’re spoiled for choice.
Back to Ireland....I too did and looked forward to a tour. I did enjoy it EXCEPT for the driving and only because the roads are just simply in a very poor state once out in the country side. Sign posts...we’ll thats a whole another story...

Back