Removing the Secondary Plates (Butterflies)

So with all that has been said, If I remove just the secondaries and do nothing else, I should have better response and no tuning issues (a/f ratios buggered up)?
Or am I missing something. No need for a big explanation, I have read most of the posts and have ideas for what I want. But pipes and triple k&N's are way in the future more likely next winter so just trying to see if I can do something minor now.

Thankls

mutt

It's a minor mod. Remove the bear claw raise the tank, loosen 5 hose clamps and remove 2 small bolts that secure the plenum that runs to the 3 throttle bodies and remove the plenum. After that you have 6 small screws to the 3 secondary throttle plates. Use a magnetic screw driver for these screws so you don't drop them. I really don't see how they would fall down past the primary throttle plates with them being closed but be careful. You don't want to ingest a screw.
I didn't do a 12 minute tune. The 12 minute tune is done with the throttle closed. Maybe Pig9r could explain why a 12 minute tune might be desired.
All this mod gives you is quicker throttle response and true wide open throttle "WOT" in first-third gears.
I have notice zero ill effects. No change other than more get up and go.
If you don't like the results put the plates back in. And your back back to stock.

As a side note this mod takes about 1 hour to complete. 20 minutes of real work and 40 minutes of cussing to put it back together. Put a little lube on the rubbers to put it back together.
It's hard to judge mechanical skill by reading a post. It may take you longer than it took me. If you can change brake pads on a car by yourself this should not present too much of a challenge.

So with all that has been said, If I remove just the secondaries and do nothing else, I should have better response and no tuning issues (a/f ratios buggered up)?
Or am I missing something. No need for a big explanation, I have read most of the posts and have ideas for what I want. But pipes and triple k&N's are way in the future more likely next winter so just trying to see if I can do something minor now.

Thankls

mutt
I was advised to put the PCIII in before removing them but that was more for the pipes and triple K&N's than removing the secondaries. If thats all you are doing then I would think the only effect would be that you have full control over the throttle position, A/F mixtures would still be corrected by the computer just as before.
No worries ... it will go fast! Fast is good! Speed kills .... BUGS!

Thankls

mutt

If that's all you are doing with the intake and exhaust right now you should be fine. Aslo as Lester suggested the 12 min tune would be a good idea since you are technically making an intake change.

And I have the power commander when you are ready for it. In fact I have the cat bypass and drilled out silencers to match.
Drilled out silencers .... now thats a topic I want to hear more about.
These aren't just holes drilled in the plates around the little exit holes in the stock exhaust are they? Please tell me there's more to it than that, I would love to put the stock pipes back on for the look but I want some sound and all the performance of D&D's.

Thanks fellas. Just took the bike in to have the tires replaced and the gear position sensor replaced. Think I might rip those secondaries out and perform a 12min tune and see the results. Im gonna open a thread on drilling out baffles on stock exhaust. Wish me luck !!!!:D

mutt

so by just removing the secondaries butterflys this will make the engine lite come on but i won't need to buy the gipro correct !!
???? :confused:
Did someone tell you the engine light would come on? NO it won't. The secondary throttle body butterfly valve removal only takes fine throttle control away from the ECM. You might not notice it, but when you crank on the throttle, you don't have full control, if you remove the upper butterflys, you will see what I mean. The GiPro, besides showing what gear your in, simply tells the ECM that it's in 4th (or 5th) gear all the time.

Back