Remove Rear Shocks Advice? R3 Roadster 2018

buddazero

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster 2018
Hey, I need to remove the rear shock in order to spray paint over the scratch damage you see in the photo below. It's the rear left side panel, and also right. Right now the quick release sissy bar is in front, but to take off that panel I need to take off the shocks.

I do have this manual lift, and I actually used it to left the bike to install the quick release brackets, but I barely lifted the wheel, like I only lifted it maybe two inches. My question:

1) For the shocks do I have to lift the bike any higher to take them off, or the wheel just has to be off the ground by a little?

2) If I take off both shocks and the bumper screws, will the bumper screws on the side, will the bumper completely fall off? If that's the case, should I do one side at a time?

I have this lift here:

Any advice helps, still learning.

Best,

Budda

1654568939208.png

Last edited:
Just lift the bike enough to take the weight off the rear tire, then remove the shock bolts. The shocks then will slide off. Might have to tap on them to loosen so they slide off. You can remove bolts on both sides at the same time but if it makes you feel better, do one side at a time. I did one side at a time when I replace the OEM shocks with longer aftermarket shocks.

Just lift the bike enough to take the weight off the rear tire, then remove the shock bolts. The shocks then will slide off. Might have to tap on them to loosen so they slide off. You can remove bolts on both sides at the same time but if it makes you feel better, do one side at a time. I did one side at a time when I replace the OEM shocks with longer aftermarket shocks.

So to clarify, it's ok to remove the rear bolt shocks AND the rear bumper bolts, like the ones in the photo here, and the bumper won't fall off:

1654569611802.png

I will do each side at a time.

you don't need to remove the shock absorber to remove the trim (bumper?)

Really, it looks like this trim piece is being held down by three bolts, the two on the rear, and the top rear shock bolt, no?

I'm trying to take off the rear trim, that hard plastic covering. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Attachments

• Inked627ff2d07863be6243398a8d_LI.jpg
    Inked627ff2d07863be6243398a8d_LI.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 7
To remove that trim it's just the two bolts on each side. The end of the trim has a half circle opening that slides onto the rubber mounts of the shocks. You don't need to remove the shocks for that- you'll see. Remove the two bolts and pull the trim back away from the shocks toward the rear of the bike. The fender will then be loose, but still attached at another point. You could jam something under it over the wheel to take stress off until you reassemble. Hope this helps.....

To remove that trim it's just the two bolts on each side. The end of the trim has a half circle opening that slides onto the rubber mounts of the shocks. You don't need to remove the shocks for that- you'll see. Remove the two bolts and pull the trim back away from the shocks toward the rear of the bike. The fender will then be loose, but still attached at another point. You could jam something under it over the wheel to take stress off until you reassemble. Hope this helps.....

OHHH!!! That's so cool. Wow thank you for this info, this helps a lot. I feel better about this.

Eventually I want to remove the rear wheel, this past year I've taken apart the whole exhaust system and now I know it in and out, now is the rear. But for now this will do nicely since I only need access to the trim.

Thank you, and to everyone!

Back