Recommend a battery maintainer.

I use a Battery Minder 2012AGM for my Kayak battery, and hooking up to Edsel when using TuneECU

I looked it up...that looks like an excellent charger option as well.

Unfortunately, if you read the reviews on any charger talked about here (including my choices) they are all junk in more than one review or another. It's kind of like when I bought my first Rocket. After getting on the forum I thought "What the hell kind of piece of crap motorcycle did I buy"? Problem after problem that never materialized. Bottom line...pick one and screw the reviews or opinions, you will probably be just fine with any of them and it's better than no maintainer at all. I've learned to blame most of the bad reviews on the owner/user...."Never underestimate stupid"!....a quote from .Jay Leno!

Last edited:
You know, I'm often the same when it comes to reading reviews. A lot of the 1 and 2 star review posts are down right stupid. Things like... "the item showed up a week late" - 1 star. "the item was covered in a plastic film that was very hard to remove" - 1 star. "It took my husband a long time to assemble" - 1 star. "I had to put oil in the engine" - 1 star. "left the unit in the rain and it failed" - 1 star..... Brain dead.... especially the ones where the wife types in the husband's comments or lack of competence. I appreciate hearing about legitimate issues such as the quality of a paint application on an item, or premature fastener failures due to them being too soft/hard, also premature fabric fading or plastic handles on shovels snapping because of UV, etc etc These to me are genuine premature failures and should reflect in a poor evaluation rating. Also, look to see how many ratings have been given. Does the minimal assessment number reflect a true overall evaluation?

There is a difference between a poor rating evaluation and a poor evaluation rating!

You know, I'm often the same when it comes to reading reviews. A lot of the 1 and 2 star review posts are down right stupid. Things like... "the item showed up a week late" - 1 star. "the item was covered in a plastic film that was very hard to remove" - 1 star. "It took my husband a long time to assemble" - 1 star. "I had to put oil in the engine" - 1 star. "left the unit in the rain and it failed" - 1 star..... Brain dead.... especially the ones where the wife types in the husband's comments or lack of competence. I appreciate hearing about legitimate issues such as the quality of a paint application on an item, or premature fastener failures due to them being too soft/hard, also premature fabric fading or plastic handles on shovels snapping because of UV, etc etc These to me are genuine premature failures and should reflect in a poor evaluation rating. Also, look to see how many ratings have been given. Does the minimal assessment number reflect a true overall evaluation?

There is a difference between a poor rating evaluation and a poor evaluation rating!
Well said! I've learn to take reviews with a grain of salt just for the reasons you have mentioned. 👍👍

I've used a Battery Tender Junior for years with no issue. Only 3/4 of an amp but that's all you need to keep the battery fresh.
I've had one for 11 years, one for 7 years and the third for 5 years each purchased when I added a bike to my stable (one recycled after I traded my Thunderbird for my R3T). So far so good; though I suspect the BatteryMinder I mentioned earlier has the prospect of doing a more thorough job with the desulfurication feature. Hard to tell without a lot of testing. Bottom line for me is after my wife's OEM battery died in short order, the BatteryMinder charger gave her more piece of mind while I was deployed... Happy Wife, Happy Life... Heh! Sometimes you pay for mental security.
-MIG

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That's why I asked here - online reviews are all but useless. I've actually seen a one star review for a restaurant that said "Never been here, leaving a one star review to remind myself". WTF, over? You're screwing with someone's livelihood as a form of electronic post it note???

I figured here, I'd get opinions based on first hand experience from people I trust (mostly) and who have the same bike I do (mostly), and I did!

I really like the looks of the Battery Minder, but it's a bit spendy for me right now (thanks COVID). I'm leaning toward the NOCO Genius 2 to get the desulfation feature, and in case I win the lottery and get a Li-on battery, I like that it can work with different battery chemistries.

I've been using the Noco's for years too. I have 6. I enjoy the regeneration feature that allows you to save a battery if it's completely flat. Not available on all models.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Genius 2, and an adapter so I could use the molex connector already wired up. Ordered it last night and it hit the porch before noon. Way to go Amazon! Instead of the molex adaptor I ordered, they sent another eyelet pigtail. Way to go Amazon!

The Duracell battery I got because it was the only thing available locally and I wanted to go riding, lasted all of 25 months... It won't sit more than a few days without struggling to start the bike, but it works okay. Hopefully the Noco will improve it a little, or at least keep it hot for those intermittent 50+ days we get all through the winter, then I'll order a Yuasa in the spring, like I shoulda done last time.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Genius 2, and an adapter so I could use the molex connector already wired up. Ordered it last night and it hit the porch before noon. Way to go Amazon! Instead of the molex adaptor I ordered, they sent another eyelet pigtail. Way to go Amazon!

The Duracell battery I got because it was the only thing available locally and I wanted to go riding, lasted all of 25 months... It won't sit more than a few days without struggling to start the bike, but it works okay. Hopefully the Noco will improve it a little, or at least keep it hot for those intermittent 50+ days we get all through the winter, then I'll order a Yuasa in the spring, like I shoulda done last time.
You'll be happy with the...YUASA YTX20HL-BS. I like the fact they arrive dry and have to be acidized with the acid that comes in the box. You never get a battery that has been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long. I have never had battery or starting issues with that battery. Then again, I have a rule about batteries...two years and they are gone. I may venture out on a limb this year and go for a third year as mine is never off a maintenance charger. Bike batteries take a lot of abuse and are often neglected. The rocket can be a grief machine without a good battery. Better a new battery than sorry.

I use the exact same battery as Bedifferent and especially like the fact that it comes dry and that they have always worked well for me. That battery fits all my Gen 1 Rockets as well as my Fat Bob, my ATVs and my Ski-Doos. I keep several on hand and don't have to worry about the battery date since I only add the acid when I am going to install a battery. I look at batteries as consummables to keep on hand as well as disc pads, tires and some other fairly frequently changed items so I don't have to wait for parts.

Back