Received this from Tampa dealer and link to Daily Herald ( UK)

The Mini was designed by a Greek anyway, wasn't it? ;):D
Alec Issigonis - Wikipedia
Bit like trying to claim the Royal Family is British when it is just really German and Greek too? ;):p:D:roll::roll::roll::roll:
actually was designed by a turk by the name of Alec Isigonis if my memory serves me right and jumped on a british ship straight to GB when the smoke of war was rising the rest is history ,, I remember an ad that stated when the mini popped on the world stage I quote "I own two cars my second car is a rolls royce "

British is no ethnicity, just nationality. You can be turk, greek, jewish ethnicity and citizen of United Kingdom (= british) at the same time. Issigonis was british as his father was british citizen as well.

British is no ethnicity, just nationality. You can be turk, greek, jewish ethnicity and citizen of United Kingdom (= british) at the same time. Issigonis was british as his father was british citizen as well.
Bingo and you didn't even have to read the link.;):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Alec Issigonis - Wikipedia
Alec Issigonis was born 18 November 1906, into the Greek cosmopolitan community of the Ottoman port Smyrna (now İzmir, Turkey) in Asia Minor. The son of Greek and German parents, he inherited British citizenship via his father and developed very "English" attitudes.[6] His grandfather Demosthenis migrated to Smyrna from Paros in Greece in the 1830s and through the work he did for the British-built Smyrna-Aydın Railway[7] managed to acquire British nationality. Demosthenis's son (Alec's father) Constantine Issigonis (Greek: Κωνσταντίνος Ισηγόνης), was born, with British nationality, in Smyrna in 1872. Constantine studied in England. Alec's mother, Hulda Prokopp, could trace her origins back to Württemberg (now part of Germany). It was through his mother's kinships that Issigonis was a first cousin once removed to BMW (and more briefly Volkswagen) director Bernd Pischetsrieder.[8]

Because Alec and his parents were British subjects, they were evacuated to Malta by British Royal Marines in September 1922, ahead of the Great Fire of Smyrna and the Turkish capture of Smyrna at the end of the Greco-Turkish War. Following the death of his father in 1922, Alec and his mother moved to the UK in 1923. Alec studied engineering at Battersea Polytechnic in London. He failed his mathematics exams three times and subsequently called pure mathematics 'the enemy of every creative genius'.[citation needed] After Battersea Polytechnic, Alec decided to enter the University of London External Programme to complete his university education.

This generation is getting dumber and weaker . Put down your cell phones and go to the gym...;) I'm a little disappointed in the direction the UK is heading. Some of my ancestors migrated here in the 1600-1700's from Essex. It wouldn't surprise me to see the the camel replace the Rocket...:roll::unsure:

Last edited:
not disagreeing with the statement that this civilization is getting dumber, just to point out that brain size has no direct co-relation with intelligence. For Example Albert Einstein´s brain was pretty average size.

People been saying that for a long time, lol, yet civilization somehow continues to progress.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Socrates

My great grandmother used to say "the cow forgets it was once a calf".

Lol.... I get a kick out of reading or listening to people’s opinions on what a “real bike rider” is or should be. Does it have to be that difficult, if you swing a leg over a two wheeled steel horse...your a bike rider.

Seems pretty simple to me. I commute 700km a week, just finished a 3600km ride over a 7 day period. I ride 9 months out of the year. The guy or gal that only goes out on a sunny Sunday a few time a year is still a real biker in IMHO, no more or less than I.

I think we have a tendancy to confuse the biker culture with riding a motorcycle. HD did an outstanding job marketing their brand around a culture, HOG. Cultures change, evolve and grow. If a Buisiness doesn’t accept the change, well they will simply fade away over time to be replaced by something new that suits the people of today.

As for Triumph deciding to....or not to continue on with the Rocket model line, well it is what it is, a Buisiness. I like most here hoped to see a new model emerge around the massive engine but if it doesn’t, well I’m happy to have owned and experienced both models.

Triumph is a very old company and has survived bankruptcy to emerge as a solid player in the motorcycle market, I’m sure they will be here for years to come as they change to appeal to a new generation of “real bike riders” vice, like some manufactures out there, trying to hold on to a dying culture of what it WAS to be a motorcycle rider... just my 2cents...

Cheers and keep the shiny side up.

All true except that like many re-starts Triumph is just a brand name that has been transferred in ownership several times, ceased existence, and been re-born.

The original company and legal entities have gone broke many times over and been re-sold or whatever.

The 'history' is all just a marketing myth really.

The millenials have spoken. Nerds with disposable income win again. We will be forced into clandestine meetings of thunder lizards and ancient cowboys in remote areas like Oklahoma to escape the man bun crowds scorn for riding beasts. Now I know what a bison must have felt like when it was pursued by smaller creatures armed with technological tools. We too shall die on the prairie. I loved my Rocket and my Storm but they were flashes in the pan of time. I am sad for our times as they are passing as they have for all of history. Just like my Victory bike, " keep them running" and refuse to change. Ride what you choose.

Back