Recall for 2020 Rocket 3 Rear Brake

you have no choice unless you have the dealer's computer and software to bleed and purge the ABS correctly.
let me word this a little different
if the rear brakes are working good do not let anybody **** with them;)

let me word this a little different
if the rear brakes are working good do not let anybody **** with them;)
all well and good rewording it how you like, but the recall on the R3 is for a safety issue where the bikes were released from the factory without an adequate bleed of the rear brakes, the procedure they carried out during assembly was incorrect and they admitted it. Many were failing completely. If you are advising that we all stick our head in the sand if we think our rear brakes are OK on the R3's.... then you are lining up for a Darwin Award at some stage in your life!

all well and good rewording it how you like, but the recall on the R3 is for a safety issue where the bikes were released from the factory without an adequate bleed of the rear brakes, the procedure they carried out during assembly was incorrect and they admitted it. Many were failing completely. If you are advising that we all stick our head in the sand if we think our rear brakes are OK on the R3's.... then you are lining up for a Darwin Award at some stage in your life!

i understand your thinking and to anyone having trouble with brakes should head to the dealer
and just because there have been a few dealers that had to re work the brakes 3 or 4 times (no hazard here) you still have faith in the dealers.
one should do what he thinks is best. thats all i have to say.

I've done 2600 miles and had the bike for 10 months.
Oh wow, also very interesting that you never had them fail in that time (or distance). Such an odd problem.

I guess if it were an incorrect installation procedure at the factory, some will be worse than others, which kinda makes sense. I suppose got lucky, and I got pretty **** unlucky. I have been wondering why not more people are screaming about it on forums, because trust me, my brake has been unbelievably bad :(

and... have you had the recall work done by your dealer yet (since the recall announcement)?
I said, from the very first week, to the dealership that the rear brake was not very efficient.... As I try to respect every protocol, I waited for the recall. It was done at a Triumph dealership. No improvement was noticed. For me this bike is not dangerous because of its torque or power but its poor rear brake. I have now 4 500 miles (8 months), and a lot of rain these last months.

When you brake with the front brake lever, it does not seem so bad. Are the front and rear brakes working together as it is described in the manual ? Or, is front brake working mainly alone for me 😳 ?

I said, from the very first week, to the dealership that the rear brake was not very efficient.... As I try to respect every protocol, I waited for the recall. It was done at a Triumph dealership. No improvement was noticed. For me this bike is not dangerous because of its torque or power but its poor rear brake. I have now 4 500 miles (8 months), and a lot of rain these last months.

When you brake with the front brake lever, it does not seem so bad. Are the front and rear brakes working together as it is described in the manual ? Or, is front brake working mainly alone for me 😳 ?
Well the front and rear do work together, but there's no magic in the front lever. If you have no rear brake on the rear brake pedal, then there will also be no rear brake on the front brake lever.

At least that's my assumption/experience, I could be wrong.

As I said in a previous post, the hill hold assist works by locking the rear brake to stop you from moving. But now that my rear brake is totally ineffective, even the hill hold assist doesn't work, you can turn it on on a flat surface, and then easily push the bike with your feet. So there's no magic on that feature, I doubt there would be therefore on the front/rear linkage.

As I said in a previous post, the hill hold assist works by locking the rear brake to stop you from moving. But now that my rear brake is totally ineffective, even the hill hold assist doesn't work, you can turn it on on a flat surface, and then easily push the bike with your feet. So there's no magic on that feature, I doubt there would be therefore on the front/rear linkage.

That means, I should be very happy with mine 😳 as the hill assist hold is working. So I must be used to push on rear brake pedal as most as I can to get any effect on rear brake. Doing that on any HD (or any other bike ?) rear wheel is instantaneously blocked.

Last edited:
That means, I should be very happy with mine 😳 as the hill assist hold is working. So I must be used to push on rear brake pedal as most as I can to get any effect on rear brake. Doing that on any HD (or any other bike ?) rear wheel is instantaneous blocked.
Well, it doesn't require much rear brake to hold a bike still against someone pushing it, and that's why I use it an example of how screwed mine is.
Try it with your front brake, apply maybe 25-50% brake pressure, I'd imagine you couldn't move the bike.

Hi fellow Rocket3ers,

I pinched this off facebook so for those who do not use facebook or do use it but are not members of the group I am.... here it is. (ulike most cr@p on FB this is actually genuine and useful)

Please check your safety recall notice with your VIN. Triumph have issued a formal recall notice that was rumoured yesterday.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/owners/recalls

Mine advises:

YOU HAVE 1 OUTSTANDING RECALL​

Status
https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.u...C5MD3Nu_L1YN2R6vqB0RQ50GtKpdKMpSykzQl8N2vWIwoOutstanding Recall
Recall Date
Dec 02, 2020
NHTSA Number
20V740
We require your co-operation to ensure your motorcycle is modified without delay, to ensure your maximum safety. Please contact your local or preferred dealer and book your motorcycle in for the recall work to be actioned immediately.
Summary: Some Rocket III models with anti lock brakes (ABS) were manufactured using a rear brake system fluid fill process that may not meet quality standards. A small amount of air may therefore remain in the ABS modulator.
Consequence: The presence of air in the ABS modulator may over time result in rear braking deterioration on some ABS units. Degradation of the rear brake efficiency, if unnoticed, can increase the risk of a crash.
Remedy: Triumph Motorcycles Ltd has authorized your dealer to carry out a rear brake fluid bleed procedure, free of charge to you including parts and labor.
My Rocket Gt was fine all summer, but after it sat this winter, the pedal went all the way to bottom.. Really simple to bleed this brake with a vacuum pump bleeder
and about 6 feet of line so u can refill the master while getting the air out. A lot of air did come out. Brakes are nice and firm now.
Have a feeling it takes some time for the air in the system to finally enter the pressurized side of the line.

My Rocket Gt was fine all summer, but after it sat this winter, the pedal went all the way to bottom.. Really simple to bleed this brake with a vacuum pump bleeder
and about 6 feet of line so u can refill the master while getting the air out. A lot of air did come out. Brakes are nice and firm now.
Have a feeling it takes some time for the air in the system to finally enter the pressurized side of the line.

may be taking a long time or just sucking air in from somewhere.

Back